Translucent, Thin FIns

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
My remaining oranda Claudius now seems to be developing translucent, thin fins.
Is this Fin Rot? He's had it before when i took out his sister (she passed away not too long ago) but i fixed it and hes been great for 6 months or so at least.
Could the death of his sister be doing this??

He also has a big ball of a something coming out towards his back (expanding his scales). i took pics. ill put up asap. It looks like somethings really bloated in there. Could it be his swimbladder?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Please post photos of those affected areas. Photos are extremely important. Include water parameters, food menu, schedule of feeding and tank maintenance schedule.

Finrot often involves obvious decaying of the fins especially with white edges appearing to creep on the ragged edges. This is caused either by poor water conditions or bacteria. In this case, I would look into your water parameters first and determine what exactly interfered with the nitrogen cycle. Check your filtration if it is working properly. Does your maintenance seem adequate in conjunction with your feeding schedule and filtration capacity? You also must question your test kit for its reliability if you suspect something is not right with the water parameters unless you are using a new API liquid test kit and the vials are cleaned properly enough to be assured the results are accurate.

As for the last paragraph, no, it is not his GI tract. Swim bladder organs are part of the anatomy and easily misconstrued for disease due to the disorder caused by several variables particularly floating foods, too much starch intake, etc. I suspect it may be tumor. Most tumors are not life threatening unless they interfere with normal body functions particularly near the gill area.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
Please post photos of those affected areas. Photos are extremely important. Include water parameters, food menu, schedule of feeding and tank maintenance schedule.

Finrot often involves obvious decaying of the fins especially with white edges appearing to creep on the ragged edges. This is caused either by poor water conditions or bacteria. In this case, I would look into your water parameters first and determine what exactly interfered with the nitrogen cycle. Check your filtration if it is working properly. Does your maintenance seem adequate in conjunction with your feeding schedule and filtration capacity? You also must question your test kit for its reliability if you suspect something is not right with the water parameters unless you are using a new API liquid test kit and the vials are cleaned properly enough to be assured the results are accurate.

As for the last paragraph, no, it is not his GI tract. Swim bladder organs are part of the anatomy and easily misconstrued for disease due to the disorder caused by several variables particularly floating foods, too much starch intake, etc. I suspect it may be tumor. Most tumors are not life threatening unless they interfere with normal body functions particularly near the gill area.

he doesnt have white edges..at least not yet. they are just really thin. is that the beginnings of finrot?

Ill have to check the parameters and update this thread. i did it not too long ago after my other oranda passed and everything was fine.

I know it isnt his swim bladder organ. i meant could it be his bloated swim bladder protruding out??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store