Tail missing should I move it???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
ok as the title states I have a pure white comet with a missing tail it looks like someone have just picked up the fish and cut the tail off with sissors. My question is that this fish is in a 3000 ltr pond outside and appears to be ok and not being harrassed by the other fish. Should I leave it alone in the pond or should I try to catch it (which in itself will not be easy) and put in a QT tank until the tail regrows. Also no other fish in the pond have lost their tails.

The water in the pond is:
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

It is heavily planted and I would have to take all the plants out of the pond to catch it and the stress itself could do the fish more harm than good.

What should I do??

Cheers
Debbie

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Deb, it would be much better to place it in quarantine tank to let its tail recover however if you have trouble catching it, why not just keep a close watch on it while it is in the pond? If the fin appears to worsen, then you may have to separate it to prevent it from being further infected.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Thanks Lupin, I will try to see if I can catch it when I next feed I might get lucky. If not I will monitor for the next few days in the pond and if it seems to be getting worse I will strip the plants out of the pond and catch the little bugger.

Question what would have caused this to happen it does not look like disease? The place where it has come off if so clean cut.

Thanks
Debbie

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Any photos? Only one thing that would tear the fins like that is by harassments from other fish. It's hard to say what does when you described it as "clean cut".

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Debbie, if your pond is not covered this could be evidence of a predator attack. Do you have netting over the pond? Sharp little mammal teeth could shear off the tail fin entirely.

I agree with Lupin that if you can catch the fish, bring it inside to quarantine so you can monitor its recovery. If you can't catch it, leave it in the pond.

Best of luck to you!

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Predetor attack is a possibility as I have lost a couple of fish to kookaburra's. The pond is a feature in my courtyard so I haven't got netting over the pond but it is over 1/2 a meter deep and as stated above well planted. I will try to remove the fish tomorrow when I feed and get a photo of it when it is in the QT tank.

Thanks
Debbie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store