Snail pics, snail babies, snailtopia?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Ok the uplod is finally done. I have a 2.5 gal mini bow tank that is my nursery for the moment. Snails are all gold brigs/difusia as far as I can tell. I had to take papa out of the main tank so he'd leave the girls alone for a bit. They were getting some pretty nasty groves in their shells. He's been removed to the nursery for the moment and I have to say he's doing pretty well for being surrounded by apx 70+ infants. They're all his though so, its good for him. He's a good dad.

Case in point, the snail piggy-back ride.

Piggy Back.jpg

Close up of one of the little ones.

Snail baby.jpg

The "family" in the background is a photo album that just so happens to hold my clamp on light with my CF bulb quite well. May end up planting something small in the nursery soon.

Family at dusk.jpg

Another shot of Pappa and the kids, a matter of perspective.

A matter of perspective.jpg

Babies in the sand

Babies on the sand.jpg

Some pics of the gilrs in the community tank. Dont know if the ivory, blue or brown are female yet. No mating behavior observed as of yet.

Snail jello buffet.

Bring on the Jello.jpg

Betta keeping an eye on things.

Betta observation.jpg

My brown rescue from the Wal-Mart type store. She/he has some shell damage that seems to be repairing itself pretty well.

Brown Shell damage.jpg

There's the best of them. Comments welcome, enjoy the pics.

Babies on the sand.jpg A matter of perspective.jpg Betta observation.jpg Bring on the Jello.jpg Brown Shell damage.jpg Family at dusk.jpg Piggy Back.jpg Snail baby.jpg

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
nice shots! but you mention the females were getting grooves in their shells from mating too often? i don't think that is the case. grooves form from either deformed shell growth or deficiencies in diet, IMO.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
I would hope that they are not deficient in their diet. This is one of my first snails and she's eating better now than ever before. I never noticed this problem with her shell before the constant copulation. I have city water that I treat, pretty sure it is fairly high in calcium as I have to CLR my showerheads from time to time. Plus I try to feed fresh zuchinni, green beans, snail jello with crushed up fruit flavored tums, and Have a cuttlefish bone in there for them to munch on. She is, however the only one that I've noticed with this particular shell problem.

On another note, is this the dreaded BBA on her shell or another variety? Seems to be on my plants as well. Didn't know if these were the diatomes or algea or what. Tell me what you think.

shell damage.jpg

shell damage.jpg

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
how long have you had her for? that fissure in her shell looks to be old. i've had a handful of brigg babies grow up with fissures, dents, etc. your girls 'owie' doesn't look too serious, i wouldn't worry unless it deepens or lengthens.

as for the black stuff on her shell, i don't know what it is but you might try using a new soft toothbrush to get it off.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Great pics! I love tiny little baby briggs.

The grooves in that particular spot can be caused by mating. If it gets bad, it's possible to do a patch, but I don't think I'd worry about it for now.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Awesome snails! how many gallons is that tank?!
Well, the nursery tank is a 2.5 gal mini bow. The community tank is a 72 gal. bowfront thats lightly planted.

I have used a baby toothbrush to clean up the stuff on occasion but it seems to keep coming back. I've read somewhere else of someone using a toothbush dipped in hydrogen peroxide to clean the shell of algae being careful to hold the snail upside down and scrub from the bottom that way no peroxide were to contact the body. I cannot vouch or condone this method as of yet, I have been scared to try it. I have, however considered getting a couple of Otto cats to put in there with them, I've heard they do a bang up job on snail shells. Till then, they'll just be a bit dirty lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store