New Riparium in 56 Column

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I am working on a new riaparium setup in a Perfecto 56-gallon Column tank. I picked it up on sale just the other night.

My general plan for substrate is to use a light-colored coarse sand with larger stones and manzanita branches that will stand up erect out of the water. My 65 has the general layout for manzanita that I have in mind.

That tank also has a shape similar to the Perfect column, but it is 6" wider. The column is 30" wide, so it's shape works more like a cube.

I am selecting plants with the idea of maintaining low to moderate light and moderate humidity. I also have plant size and shape in mind. This tank has quite a bit of room, so I can include some larger specimens.

Spathiphyllum sp.

Peace lilies might build much of the background of the plant scape. <em>Spathiphyllum</em> are really great, low-maintenance plants, and they are cheap too. I purchased this one for just a few bucks at a big box home improvement store. With some time for their roots to adapt to wet conditions they grow really well in ripariums.

Spathiphyllum 'Golden Glow'

Here is another new Spathiphyllum that I acquired recently. The chartreuse to yellow coloration of this 'Golden Glow' will contrast nicely against those other peace lilies if I situate just one or two in among the other plants.

Cryptocoryne ciliata

C. ciliata is a great plant. It is hardy, pretty fast-growing and has bizarre and showy flowers. These also have the same general leaf shape and growth habit as peace lilies, so I can also mix one or two of these large plants into the background of the display.

Alocasia 'Polly'

Another great one, this "African mask plant", Alocasia 'Polly', might work well as a single centerpiece specimen. I was really pleased to find this one to grow well in a riparium planters: I had been advised that it requires drier conditions

Microsorum sp.

Java ferns grow really well on Trellis Rafts. I might start to run out of room with my other large plants, but I think I will try to float this one in there as a midground plant.

Anubias barteri var. nana[/i]

Anubias barteri, planted on an Ep-Trellis, is another good midground element. So far, all of the plants that I have picked out as die from the fern are aroids, belonging to Family Araceae. I might include this one in favor of the Microsorum in order to keep a strict aroid theme

Cryptocoryne 'Green Gecko'

Crypts are also aroids. I think that the the above water area of this setup will be too dry for most crypts, aside from ciliata, but I will definitely use crypts underwater. 'Green Gecko' s one of my favorites and it has a nice, tidy growth habit that will mimic the shape of some of the emersed plants that I plan to use.

Billyb86

Fish Queen
Aug 5, 2009
Makawao Maui
Wow that looks amazing cant wait to see it all come together and i am really loving that African mask plant do you think they will grow well in maui ?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I stuck some pants in there the other night. This setup is temporary while I work I work on the stand, but it gives an idea of what the display will look like.

Mostly I have a lot of Spathiphyllum peace lilies in there--six different varieties I think.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
your set ups are always so beautiful. i'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks again. I have substrate and some more new plants on the way through the mail, so I hope to have more new updates soon.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
A package came today with my sand substrates, "Branco Forest Sand" and "Nile Sand".

These are both ADA products. I plan to blend theme for a natural appearance.

It is important to use light-colored substrates and bright green plants for the underwater portion of a riparium composition so that the shade cast by the mergent plants will not darken that area so much.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I'm not sure that African mask will make it over time.
Nice plant, but tend to do poorly in such tanks.
Most of the others will grow like weeds.

Try some Crypts for submersed plants.
Pennywort also is a good emergent plant.
Bolbitus and most aquatics can be used also as emergent.
Crypts as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store