Clowns finally got a new home

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
This is my 29G "donation" tank that I put fish and corals myself or others have that we no longer want in our tank or are tearing down. I got the mated pair of clowns in a teardown but their anemone went somewhere else. Finally, a year later, someone in the area had a Green BTA that split and they wanted out so I got that last week. Took about 2 hours before the clowns dived in.. anemone still was moving around trying to find its happy place and already getting bugged by the clowns but now it looks as if it has settled in. Only problem now is the female is the boss of the house and seems to constantly kick the male out during the day, but they are both sleeping in it at night. Guess he needs to find a job.

carribear

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Cali
A little off the subject, but I have a Pink Rose Bubbletip that has been sucked in for about the last hour. While feeding, I noticed my Green Chromis was missing......Is it possible? Would my bubbletip sting my Chromis and eat him??

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Not normally, but stranger things have happened. A Chromis is very close to a damsel IMO and I have actually seen Blue/Green Chromis go inside of RBTAs before and live just fine.. that said. I had a wrasse jump out of my tank once and I grabbed it really quickly and just tossed it into the tank not thinking and it went right into the anemone, nice $70 lunch.

As for light.. the more you can give it, the better they seem to do. I have 6 T5HOs on my tank now, actually just replaced all 6 bulbs today with this combo.

2x UVL 22 INCH V-HOR 454 (85% TRIBAND BLUE 15% 420NM NICHIA PHOSPHOR)
1x UVL 22 INCH V-HOR 75.25 (75% 420NM 25% TRIBAND WHITE NICHIA PHOSPHOR)
2x AquaticLife 700+ 10K LAMP 24IN 24W
1x GEISEMANN POWERCHROME PURE ACTINIC 24W 24IN

carribear

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Cali
Thanks...The Chromis thing is strange. I couldn't see it being snacked on by any of my crabs, nor could I find him anywhere else. He just seemed to vanish. I am sure maybe he just kicked the bucket and is wedged in a crevis or something. He had been losing weight, but was eating fine. Who knows!!! Thanks though for the advice.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Well, look what happened overnight. Guess the anemone put them in the mood. ;) 4 weeks after moving into the anemone I woke up to find them behaving oddly around a spot. Upon closer inspection I found there were eggs. :)

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Well, old thread but got an update this morning.. they had spawned about half a dozen times at my old home but after my move, tearing down the tank, etc, they were no longer in the mood for about the last 6 months.. but this morning I saw "daddy" doing his odd egg fanning behavior and upon closer inspection it appears they have started to lay some more eggs again. I am not setup to be able to care for the fry but hopefully sometime this year that will change. I would love to get that goal under my belt.. being able to successfully raise a saltwater fish from egg to adult.

Not the best pic, no lights and hard angle to get a picture of the eggs but you can see them.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Well, old thread but got an update this morning.. they had spawned about half a dozen times at my old home but after my move, tearing down the tank, etc, they were no longer in the mood for about the last 6 months.. but this morning I saw "daddy" doing his odd egg fanning behavior and upon closer inspection it appears they have started to lay some more eggs again. I am not setup to be able to care for the fry but hopefully sometime this year that will change. I would love to get that goal under my belt.. being able to successfully raise a saltwater fish from egg to adult.

Not the best pic, no lights and hard angle to get a picture of the eggs but you can see them.
Awesome Ace! very cool.

That picture literally could be of my tank, my GBTA and clowns look identical. Does yours split much? Mine seems to split about once a month. I have probably had over 15 clones I have given away to LFS's over the years.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Mine only split once so far, and that was right after I moved so I really think it was a stress related split and not a "happy" split. I traded the baby GBTA for a baby RBTA.. I think I got the better end of that deal. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store