#*@($ Ram suicide!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Aaargh! So I got this nice gold German ram about 2-3 months ago. I actually prefer blues, but my friend talked me into the gold. At the time, they were all less than 3/4 inches, and the one I got was about 1/2 inch. He was quite adventurous and had no fear of the other fish in the tank. Almost all of which were larger than him (I think it's a him). He ate readily of a variety of frozen foods, pellets, flakes, etc. that I feed (usually a combination of 2-3 foods per day due to variety of fish in community). He was about 1.5 inches now. I added an angel fish to the mix just a couple weeks ago, and while they seemed to be taking each other's measure, they made no real aggressive moves nor did they even nip or flare at each other. Just sort of took a long look and calmly swam away. There was some slight competition for food, but that still was pretty calm and not aggressive really at all.

Anyway, it seemed all was fine. I got this tank used, and one of the sections of the glass top was broken. Thus, there is an open section at the front of the right side of the tank that is not covered. However, the surface is almost completely covered by floating plants (duckweed & water sprite on that side). To my complete shock, I came home to find my little ram about 2.5 feet from the tank, all dried up! I have always been an advocate for covered tanks, but I'd been putting off replacing the glass since it was just a small section and was kinda covered by plants anyway. I'd wanted a whole new one since the glass had been used over a saltwater tank before I got it, and the glass was pretty heavily stained. But, it let enough light down for my low light plants. I guess I have an excuse now.

I was so pissed. Sorry to rant, guys. Just needed someone who would understand.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
That sucks. :( Gold rams are my favorite rams, too. When I was a kid we had an elephant fish that jumped out, and I found him, it still makes me sad to think about.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Yeah. I guess there's a bright side. I'd wanted to get more rams, but I had figured that I shouldn't since I thought the one I had was a male (didn't want breeding either in the community). So, I guess this leaves me with an opportunity to get 2 females if I can find them. The LFS that carries them has had only pretty small ones when I've seen them before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store