where oto cats come from

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

barbuto

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Fort Lee, NJ
Haha, I thought one of them was going to fall in the entire time.

pretty neat though.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
A mommy oto and a daddy oto fall in love....

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
they are from central and south america.

most times the fish are caught using nets, but the people put cyanide into the water to slow the fishes down.

here is an artical from wikipedia

Cyanides are illegally used to capture live fish near coral reefs for the aquarium and seafood markets. This fishing occurs mainly in the Philippines, Indonesia and the Caribbean to supply the 2 million marine aquarium owners in the world. In this method, a diver uses a large, needleless syringe to squirt a cyanide solution into areas where the fish are hiding, stunning them so that they can be easily gathered. Many fish caught in this fashion die immediately, or in shipping. Those that survive to find their way into pet stores often die from shock, or from massive digestive damage. The high concentrations of cyanide on reefs on which this has occurred has resulted in cases of cyanide poisoning among local fishermen and their families, as well as irreversible damage to the coral reefs themselves and other marine life in the area.
Environmental organizations are critical of the practice, as are some aquarists and aquarium dealers. To prevent the trade of illegally-caught aquarium fish, the Marine Aquarium Council (Headquarters: Honolulu, Hawaii) has created a certification in which the tropical fish are caught legally with nets only. To ensure authenticity, MAC-Certified marine organisms bear the "MAC-Certified" label on the tanks and boxes in which they are kept and shipped. See MAC-certification label. [1].
Magnesium cyanide is also used in some countries illegally to stun and harvest nektonic fish.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
WOW.

NYCguppydude

Guppy Addict
Dec 14, 2008
NYC,NY,10034
wildguppystore.com
Real Name
Andy G.
WOW!! That one and only first scoop netted them approximately 2000 Ottos.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
That's craziness. I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Unable to view right now... will have to come back to this later... sounds interesting from the responses...

A mommy oto and a daddy oto fall in love....

Not always... sometimes a daddy Oto manages to convince a mommy Oto to drink too much alcohol one night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store