DIY co2 formula.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Good post in the makings. There are so many different recipes and what have you to DIY CO2. Let's use this post to see what everyone else is doing.

Here's mine...I use the Jell-O method.

Step 1:
Using the big box of Jell-O (any flavor .... not sugar free) (6oz) / 2 1/2 cups hot water / 2 cups sugar / dissolve and refridgerate over night

Step 2:
Take 1 cup hot water and disolve 1/2 tsp sugar.
Add 1/4 tsp yeast to activate (~15 mins).
Cut Jell-O in cubes or rectangles and add to bottle. (BTW...I use the Ocean Spray bottles as opposed to the 2l soda bottles. I find these get you a better seal.)
Sprinkle 1/4 tsp baking soda on top of Jell-O.
Pour yeast mixture into bottle
Fill bottle with warm water up about 2" from the top.
Sprinkle 1/4 yeast on top.
Cap tightly.

Within a couple of hours.....bubbles in the tank. Lasts a very long time.

Bubble flow decreases..recharge..pour out watery mix (leave remaining Jell-O) in bottle. Add warm water and 1/4 tsp yeast.

Next up for me will be to try the Jelly method. ;o)

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Good post in the makings. There are so many different recipes and what have you to DIY CO2. Let's use this post to see what everyone else is doing.

Here's mine...I use the Jell-O method.

Step 1:
Using the big box of Jell-O (any flavor .... not sugar free) (6oz) / 2 1/2 cups hot water / 2 cups sugar / dissolve and refridgerate over night

Step 2:
Take 1 cup hot water and disolve 1/2 tsp sugar.
Add 1/4 tsp yeast to activate (~15 mins).
Cut Jell-O in cubes or rectangles and add to bottle. (BTW...I use the Ocean Spray bottles as opposed to the 2l soda bottles. I find these get you a better seal.)
Sprinkle 1/4 tsp baking soda on top of Jell-O.
Pour yeast mixture into bottle
Fill bottle with warm water up about 2" from the top.
Sprinkle 1/4 yeast on top.
Cap tightly.

Within a couple of hours.....bubbles in the tank. Lasts a very long time.

Bubble flow decreases..recharge..pour out watery mix (leave remaining Jell-O) in bottle. Add warm water and 1/4 tsp yeast.

Next up for me will be to try the Jelly method. ;o)
How long does this last you?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
How long does this last you?
This setup lasts me for a few weeks or more without recharging. After recharging, it will go a few more weeks. I normally have to recharge once and after that, all the Jell-O has expired. A new bottle is added at that point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store