Petco "Going Blue"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
I figured that this is the perfect place to add this. Petco wants to "Go Blue" by getting rid of antibiotics from all of their stores. I work for Petco and I have to say that I haven't used medication at all in my 125 gallon tank since it was set up about 12 years ago. I have mixed feelings about the new policies for and against it and I wanted to know how you all feel about it. Here is the article on it. http://www.petcoscoop.com/2009/08/petco-aquatics-is-going-blue/

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
So, they are getting rid of, for example, Marycin I and II and keeping Pimafix and Melafix, which are essentially worthless? That makes no sense to me, and is a horrid idea.

Kristina

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I am kind of half and half with the idea. i think they should educate people more to prevent problems, but remove antibiotics altogether? I definitely don't think that is a good idea. That is a bit extreme. What I think they should do, personally,is help their customers identify the problem and then give tehm the treatment that they should use along with detailed instruction on how to use it. That is a "bluer" future.

Luvbugz

The Suicidal Townie
Apr 18, 2007
Indiana
Why are they doing this?? Fish get sick from a number of reasons. Heck, the stress from catching one outta the store tank, putting it in a bag, and then introducing it to your aquarium can cause them stress which in turn can cause them to get sick. I think it is ridiculous for them to get rid of the meds from the store.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I cant wait to see how they try to cure columnaris, dropsy or a wound which has a bacterial infection.

I would not waste my money buying anything Fix- I know I have 85% or the melafix left which was purchased 7 years ago.

The only thing i every buy from Petco are tanks when they have the buck a gallong sale. I would not accept free fish from the petco store where I get the tanks.

I will say I find it the height of irony that a chain that has totally untrained, inexperienced people handling fish departments in the majority of its stores is now going to help the hobby by not selling antibiotics. And they wonder why they have such an awful rep among serious hobbyists.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I think they hired a proffesional writer to write that company statement because he was pretty convincing..

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I do agree with people who say that sometimes fishkeepers are a little too "med happy" and tend to rush out and buy whatever chemical sounds promising and then dump it in their tanks without actually diagnosing the problem...but I think it is ridiculous to think that meds have no purpose in the hobby (which is effectively what Petco is saying)...oh, well if it opens up the market for mom and pop stores to compete then maybe it is a good idea :grinyes:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I would not be opposed to having to take a test prior to being able to buy real medicine. If a moron can sell an Oscar with a 1 gallon bowl, I should be able to buy the proper medication I need and not be told how great snake-oil is and that it is my fault for having sick fish (that I purchased from them). That's why I rarely buy from them anyhow. Too much hypocrisy on their part.

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
so basically, let the fish get sick, and not cure it?

thats a great philosophy.

and i agree, let the mom and pop stores compete. those are the really good fish stores.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store