I need Help!!!!! Discus Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Ok so here goes. I did a rescape yesterday and pulled a large plant from the tank while doing my normal 50 % water change. I also moved some stuff around in the tank to provide more swimming room. After the water change I noticed one of the Bolivian Rams at the top of the tank (never do)!!. So I watched closely for a while. All 7 discus would school and then go up and stay up at the top of the water. No gasping, just nose angled up and breathing. Rummy noses, schooling and then doing the same. Glolites at the top. All 14 aeneus cory cats normal and other 3 bolivian rams normal. One bn heavy breathing. So I do another water change, about 50% adding water conditioner (which I don't normally do - well) but I figured it couldn't hurt. Symptoms yesterday evening still the same. This morning 2 rams + all discus + all rummys + all glolites at top of tank. Still no gasping, just being up there breathing as close to surface as possible. Did another 50% water change.

Vitals:

temp 86
am 0
ni 0
na 5
ph 7.8

Water changes daily

110 gal 6' X 18" X 18"
7 discus
8 rummy
4 ram
11 glolite
5 bn pleco (2 of which are 1" and no problems)

I am thinking anaerobic poison, but don't know what else to do. Or maybe I am missing something. Hopefully I didn't forget to put something down - if I did, ask please for the info.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Are the test results before or after the latest water change?
Are the Rummy's noses still red?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Are you sure you are getting suffiecient gas exchange to keep O levels up? In warmer waters you need to make an extra effort to keep it well oxygenated.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Are the test results before or after the latest water change?
Are the Rummy's noses still red?
Before and after. Rummy noses red, but gill plates silver.

Are you sure you are getting suffiecient gas exchange to keep O levels up? In warmer waters you need to make an extra effort to keep it well oxygenated.

I have an air stone in there and 2 fluval 404s providing water movement. Do you think I should add a powerhead? I know discus don't prefer alot of movement, but if it is that or air. I think they would prefer air.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
It certainly sounds like you stirred something up. Perhaps an additional air stone would add enough oxygen to the water to make a difference. Sorry i cannot be of more help. I hope it works itself out quickly.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
sounds like a lack of Oxygen to me as well, i would drop iin that airstone or powerhead for them and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
What water conditioner do you use? I'd definitely throw an air pump in there in the meantime. Could help off gas if there's something in the water plus extra oxygen never hurts

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
I normally don't use any as I am on a well, but with the discus I ordered some Prime (not here yet) and picked up a bottle of Aquasafe (that is what I have used since the problems started).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store