Bio-bacteria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
We started touching on a good subject a few days ago and haven't been able to find serious data on this. How long does it take for the bacteria to die off in a bio filter with the flow stopped? :confused:

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Ok, let's say a 150 gallon, at 80 degree F, after 1 week of running. The tank has 2 five inch oscars, a 17 inch pleco, a 14 inch pleco, a 5 inch bala and a 23 inch arowana. Big bio-load. 4 trays in a Fluval 404. I clean one tray per week. The others I leave alone. But have been told that 15 minutes of killing the flow will destroy the beneficial bacteria. I have 3 trays of bio stuff and 1 of floss. I change the floss weekly, and stagger the cleaning of the trays.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I certainly don't think you'd lose the biofilter in 15 minutes. I'd guess you'd be pretty safe for up to a day, at least. I once left a bio-only canister, relatively clean, off for a weekend (accidentally), and it seemed to work fine when I turned it on Monday morning. I had some ammonia when I discovered the error, but it cleared soon after turning the filter back on. I wouldn't do that a regular basis, of course...

Did you say the filter had been running one week, meaning that a week ago it was not on a tank? If that's correct, I'd think there weren't many bacteria in there to start with.

Jim

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I wouldn't expect that it would have a terribly robust colony of bacteria after only a week on the tank... I usually run a new filter on an existing tank for at least 3 weeks (or 4) before pulling it off to put on a different tank.

Jim

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Which brings me to my next question. How often should a filter be cleaned? I have a TetraTec PF 500 with the integrated heating system that I'm having to change 2 of the 4 floss only filters every 5 days, staggering them. They basically just polish the water, if I put carbon in they don't last but 3 days. I have quite the bio-load, plus the fish are a little messy when they eat. My plecos do a lot of cleaning but they have a lot of waist. The other 404 is mechanical, bio, chemial, floss. I have actually ordered a penguin 330 to repace the 404 bacteria filter. I heard it was a better way to go with the bio-wheel. I've never had a bio-wheel so I'm intrested to see it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store