Absolute Disaster.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zoya117

AC Members
Aug 4, 2009
So, long time lurker, first time poster. I had hoped the first post I'd make to the forums would be about our fish tank, and I suppose it is, just not in the way I had thought.

Yesterday, around 3 pm, as were were finishing up lunch, my boyfriend and I heard a loud snap sound from the bedroom. We went running in, only to find our 5 month old 29 gallon Marineland bowfront emptying rapidly onto the desk, and the floor below. We couldn't tell where the water was coming from, only that it was and fast. Quick thinking on my boyfriend's part got a siphon going into the bucket we used for water changes, and I was able to net out all of the inhabitants, save an untold number of molly fry who decided the gravel was the best place to hide from the chaos.

When the water had finally emptied completely, we found a crack across the middle of the bottom of the tank. The carpet is completely soaked, and we nearly had an electrical fire as the water drained directly into the power strip we used to power the tank. He had to use a towel to unplug everything from it, as it was too hot to touch.

I put the 5 danios, 3 dwarf albino cories, 1 baby red tailed shark, 4 mollies and what few fry I could net in the confusion, along with 3 african dwarf frogs into my small outdoor pond for now. They'll be fine through the end of the summer, and I've already started to find homes for them.

My boyfriend is, for obvious reasons, very leery of bringing another tank into the house right now. He immediately took everything he bought back to Petco, where, to their credit refunded him for everything he brought in, no questions asked. This is his first pet experience, and I think he's a bit scarred now!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
what was the tank sitting on? if it was a desk, that could be the reason. tanks over 5/6 gallons really should have a proper stand. obviously, some pieces of furniture are strong enough to hold up 10 gallon tanks, but anything over that is too heavy for the majority of furniture out there.

zoya117

AC Members
Aug 4, 2009
Thanks all. The tank was on a very sturdy, level desk, which shows absolutely no signs of sagging or warping.

For now, the mollies seem to have happily joined the small school of feeder goldfish that currently inhabit the pond. The danios and cories seem to be thrilled with all the space, and the red tail and frogs are hiding in amongst the plants.

Since the last post, a family member gave us a 35 gallon tall tank, and we'll be setting it up as soon as we get the carpet clean and dry. Hopefully, that was just a freak occurence. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Now I'm really scared... I hope that doesn't ever happen to me. Hopefully that's a pretty rare occurrence..

Ianne

I lieks feesh
May 22, 2009
Colorado
woah electrical fire (almost) are there any fancy devices to possibly avoid that (other than a high ledge and that retarded loop because now im a little freaked :eek:

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Sounds like a freak occurance. I have my 30 gallon on a sturdy desk.. or so I hope

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store