Wrasse for my FOWLR tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
I am considering a larger wrasse for my FOWLR 150 corner tank. This will be my last fish in this system, so I want to take my time and consider the best fish that will be happy in this size tank and compatable with the fish I have. My fish list so far is...
4" Dogface puffer
4" Humu trigger
3" Clarkii clown
18" Zebra morey

So far I have consider a Lunar, Red Coris, and a velvet. At first I definately wanted a Lunar, but the more I research and talk to ppl, I dont think he'd fit in for the long run. Mostly I am leaning toward the Coris, as he came from a tank that we maintain. He has been with other fishes much smaller than him and not bothered any as of yet. I have been reading on him, and like what I see. Right now he is about 4-5". The only concerns I have is either the Humu being to aggressive toward him, or the coris bullying the Clarkii (she can go in another tank if necessary). What do you guys think? Any experience with this or other large wrasses, or other wrasse suggestions that I haven't mentioned?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Both Lunar and Red Coris sound like good choices, although I would pick the Red coris myself. Others to consider would be the Dragon wrasse or go with something else completely.. an Australian Harlequin Tusk! Always been an amazing FOWLR fish to me.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I would go for the red coris and if you really wanted something different - like Ace said the Harlequin or a Bird Wrasse. The red coris adult is striking, even the juvie is beautiful.

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
I picked the coris!!! He is doing good...hiding a lot still, only his 2nd day here, but when he's is out he is gorgeous!!! the humu tried to be bossy, and at first the wrasse swam away. once there was food involved the wrasse not afraid to stand up for himself!!! So far everyone is doing awesome. I thought I'd feel sad that the tank was done, but it is actually kind of a relief. I have plenty of other tanks to work on!!!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I wish I was "all done" with working on my tanks. I have 4, yet only 2 of them are "up to my standards". Honestly....I don't think they ever will be. Just doing a water change on the other two feels like I should be doing something else.....but it's just well-established and doesn't need anything. I yearn for the day that I can consider my FOWLR tank "established" and "complete"!

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
I wish I was "all done" with working on my tanks. I have 4, yet only 2 of them are "up to my standards". Honestly....I don't think they ever will be. Just doing a water change on the other two feels like I should be doing something else.....but it's just well-established and doesn't need anything. I yearn for the day that I can consider my FOWLR tank "established" and "complete"!
I know what you mean. I think with my stocking list tho, I best not add anybody else!!! I try soooo hard to keep my hands outta my tanks between water changes, but its always tempting to change this or that!!! And I miss my snowflake eel, but I dont think I'll replace him anytime soon.

So this is the final stocking list:

Clarkii Clown
Dogface Puffer
Humu Trigger
Zebra Morey
Black Volitan Lion
Red Coris Wrasse

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Both Lunar and Red Coris sound like good choices, although I would pick the Red coris myself. Others to consider would be the Dragon wrasse or go with something else completely.. an Australian Harlequin Tusk! Always been an amazing FOWLR fish to me.
Harlequin Tusk is a great reef fish. As long as you can live without crustaceans in the tank!

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
Harlequin Tusk is a great reef fish. As long as you can live without crustaceans in the tank!
Ha, they dont stand a chance against the humu and puffer anyway!!! I dont have any corals cuz of them either!
WARNING: :OT:
Sadly :cry:I think I may have to consider rehoming or trading the humu, he has started showing some aggression to the puffer and leaving little circular bite marks on him...they are just skin discoloration and seem to heal up quickly, but I am not willing to risk the danger of him actually injuring the sweet lil puffer.:irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store