Backyard rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dkoernert

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I found a couple of nice size round rocks in my backyard that I would love to put in my tank. The only thing I am worried about is the rocks potentially changing water parameters, because I dont know what they are exactly. My question is do you all think its safe if I soak them and scrub them? or should I not bother? Here is a pic of the rocks in question:

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Test your Tap water Parameters, then after soaking the rock for a while, test the buckets parameters. If all is well add 'em! (assuming the place where you got them from is free of pesticides,and fertilizers)

dkoernert

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
Yeah I grabbed them out of the planter, all that ever touches that is water. Parameters look okay, but I'm a little paranoid so they will soak a bit longer.

Edit: I am just soaking them in straight tap water, should I use tank water instead or will tap be fine?

AquatiCreations

Feb 25, 2008
Yeah I grabbed them out of the planter, all that ever touches that is water. Parameters look okay, but I'm a little paranoid so they will soak a bit longer.

Edit: I am just soaking them in straight tap water, should I use tank water instead or will tap be fine?
Tap water should be fine, all you're doing is comparing water without rock, and water with rock. But I can pretty much tell you that it will be fine,they look to be river stones any how.

dkoernert

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
Tap water should be fine, all you're doing is comparing water without rock, and water with rock. But I can pretty much tell you that it will be fine,they look to be river stones any how.
Okay thanks, I was thinking they were river stones as well, but you never know.

AquatiCreations

Feb 25, 2008
Just make sure before adding the rocks to your tank, that the water in the soaking bucket is of the same temperature as that of your tank, If it is warmer/cooler the rocks will Heat/absorb some heat from the tank.

jschall

AC Members
Aug 14, 2009
If they're small, I recommend boiling them for a while. Should kill any parasites that might be on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store