liquid v.s. strip test kits

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
I've been hearing alot on these threads about how the test strips that you dip in the water are inaccurate and that the liquid ones are more accurate. Here's my question:
HOW MUCH difference is there in the results? I beleive that the liquid test kits are more accurate, but is it so much so that if you use the strips you are endangering your fish, or are the strips accurate enough to keep your tank healthy?
I ask because I have always used the strips. They have always given me reading that indicate my water is where it should be, and judging from the way my fish act, I would say my I have a healthy tank and fish.
The strips are also quick and easy, which is a bonus for me. The liquid kit looks like it takes alot longer to do a testing.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Well there are certain things you don't want to be inaccurate at all. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0. A test strip may say it's zero but a liquid kit may say it's .25. I would rather know for sure so I can act accordingly and keep my fish from being harmed. The liquid tests only take about 5 minutes.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
I agree with Bluefyre. Liquid testing is much more accurate. and as Blue said, the readings could be off, and if you have any sensitive fish at all, you may wind up with a bunch dead. That being said, although a bit more expensive, you will get your moneys worth out of them, especially if you have a problem and you found it using the liquid tests. I find my strips to be so rediculously inaacurate. I am cycling my tank, my strip told me I have no ammonia and my liq. test said I had about 2 ppm...

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Liquid or test strips are only as accurate as the test-taker and the age or condition of the testing material. You stand just as much a chance of being wrong with either one. Failure to use proper times as prescribed by the manufacturer, failure to get the right amount of water or reagent are some of the perils.

It is very hard to qualify one over the other an becomes a personal choice.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Most everyone on this site with swear that only liquid kits are any good. I've used both and see no appreciable difference in them. Liquid kits are much cheaper in the long run though.

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
My only problem with is that the little glass bottles are WAY too breakable. Be VERY careful. I broke two in the first couple of hours i had it :)

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
you are pretty safe with the strips unless your testing ph, ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites. Mostly the ammonia though. You really want to be accurate on the ammonia as its a very potent thing. I'm all for the liquid... plus its cheaper.

MySpace Mike

MySpace Mike Creative Media Founder
Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
So far I've been in the hobby for 17 years going on 18, and I'll only trust a liquid test kit, only because I found them to be more accurate and trusting test results. Also I have yet to break any of the glass tubes lol, but liquid tests have been proven to be more accurate than test strips

Knox_RBP

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Could you please site your source where they have been proven?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store