-- 90 Gallon Build Thread --

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just got my 90 gallon off of craigslist for 107 (was 115 but 107 was all I had in my wallet so I got it *yeay*). It came with a stand (although not the best one) also, so it was worth 107. Either way, I'm excited! Feel free to give me your opinions, suggestions, questions etc...

So here are some of my thoughts and concerns:

Cost: I don't want to spend any more than $120 (not including the aquarium)

Heater(s): 2 cheap 150 watt heaters or 1 stealth 250 watt heater

Filter: There are a couple I'm thinking about... They include: Magnum 350, ebay item 350238858220, and ebay item 310152464119.

Resealing: I don't know if I should reseal the silicone on the inside of the tank as they look small... also, would it be 100% silicone or something else?

-----
Here are some pics:

This is the stand...

...and this is the tank...

... and the room it's going in...

So, as you can see, I've got some work ahead of me, but I am so pumped!!!

As for stocking, I'm pretty sure its going to go something like this:
Green Terror
Firemouth
Jack Dempsy
Ghost Knife
Fire Eel
Banded Leporinus
Paratilapia polleni
Jaguar catfish
(plus or minus some)
---
That's about it so far, I will keep you all updated...

Last edited:

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Congrats on the great find! I'm starting up a 75g and also thinking of doing South Americans, so I'll be watching your build thread with interest. :popcorn:

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Great! Glad to have someone interested! Let me know how your tank building process goes too!

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Looks like a sweet tank, for good price- I hope to be picking up a tank off of craigslist myself pretty soon. Hopefully a 125gal for not much more than $200 with stand and light. - Looks like you have alot of work to do on that room- but best of luck - and you should for sure get a fire eel those things pwn!!!
Awesome!!! Good luck to ya! I hope to get a fire eel too, I will mostly likely get one, grow it to about 15" and then use that as an excuse for a bigger tank! :thumbsup: --- (w00t 400th post)

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
You are going to need huge tanks for that ghost knife and fire eel later on.... i hope you know that

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Heaters: go with 2 in case one craps out. You should always have a backup

Filter: I like rena... but that may be too expensive. If you are dead set on the eel, go with an internal filter.... or a canister. no hobs.

Resealing: LEAK TEST. try it and see what happens. If you do need to re seal it, Ge silicone works great. just make sure there isnt anti mildew stuff in it.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
There are some calcium deposits on the plastic on top... what should I use to get rid of them? I don't think vinegar will work. I need something stronger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store