Java vs. Fontinalis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I've been growing these two types of moss for a while, but to be honest, they look kind of the same - sometimes the font. look sbushier but that could just be growing conditions. Can anyone suggest what differences there might be - I can't make out anything that distinguishes them. This is mainly just curiosity. It's quite possible what I bought was mislabelled (like that couldn't happen!) I'd be more confident about the fontinalis because it came from a serious aquarium store.

This is supposed to be Java:
moss_java_90.JPG

Fontinalis:
moss_fontinalis_40.JPG

Sorry, the photos aren't great - I did my best!

moss_java_90.JPG moss_fontinalis_40.JPG

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Both look like Java to me.

Its looks like it is growing better in the second picture than the first- are they in the same tank? If its not just the camera playing tricks- the one on top looks like it is growing in warmer water than it would like. Warm water (82-84) makes it grow stringy. Cool it off a bit and it will grow greener and bushier.

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the tip Turbo, I didn't know that :)
They are in different tanks - the colour is not so different as it appears, but the moss in the second photo does grow thicker.

So, is fontinalis used as another name for willow moss? Or is willow just one kind of fontinalis?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store