2 Weeks - 1 Tank - Six Deaths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Over the past two weeks I've lost 3 Plecos, 1 Neon Tetra, and 2 Zebra Danios in my 20g long tank.

Could this be related to heat? My tanks get pretty hot, this morning my 20g tank was 86, 37g tank was 84, and 10g tank was also 86. The thing is that I haven't lost any fish in the other tanks (except 2 angelfish, but they were small and died within the first 2 days of purchase). I've only lost a mystery snail and that was because he climbed out of the tank and fell down to the floor. I turned on the AC right now, but it will probably only lower the temperature by 1 or 2 degrees. We've only used the AC like 3 times this summer.

My 20g long's battled ick before, coppersafe eliminated it without any deaths.
A couple of Neons had areas of fading white color. I thought it was Neon Tetra disease and made a topic here, but I was told it was classic FALSE Neon Tetra Disease and probably columnaris. I tried Maracyn, but it didn't seem to do anything, so I stopped. The Neons have recovered their color, but it still seems a little dark.

When the plecos died one of them seem to have white spots. It was not ick, it looked more like a natural pattern, but I don't know what it is.
When the Neon died I discovered it super white (lost a lot of color) and with missing eye balls.
One of the Zebras that died had a bent spine, the other seemed ok (aside from being dead).

I keep up with weekly, somethime bi-weekly water changes and gravel vacs.

The tank is moderately planted. I haven't added any new fish in months and the plants that I've added have been at least a month is another tank, and the fish in that tank are/were just fine.

Any ideas on what the heck is going on? I find it very strange that all the deaths are happening in one tank. It suggest something bacterial, but I don't see any physical signs of it. All fish are eating normally and swimming normally until the day before they die when they seem to hide or stay on the bottom.

The 20g tank is less than a foot away from the 37g tank and the about 15ft away from the 10g tank, so they have the same people traffic, and same environment.

Any ideas or advice?

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
Any ideas on what the heck is going on? I find it very strange that all the deaths are happening in one tank. It suggest something bacterial, but I don't see any physical signs of it. All fish are eating normally and swimming normally until the day before they die when they seem to hide or stay on the bottom.
Any ideas or advice?
I had almost the exact same thing happen a few months ago. I lost 4 cardinal tetras and 4 danios over about 10 days. Water parameters were normal, all the fish looked fine up to a few hours befre they died. My other tank was fine. I never did figure it out, just started doing a WC every day, partially because I didn't know what else to do, and bcause I didn't alway find the fish bodies, so I wanted to make sure the ammnoia didn't spike.

Sorry that's not very helpful. :( I would just keep doing WCs, keep an eye on your params.

The only other thing I can think, is that the o2 in the water lowers when the temp goes up. I'd add an airstone, at this point it wouldn't hurt. But I would think you'd see some asping or surface breathing or something.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
The Neons and the Plecos should be fine in that range of heat, (I'm not sure on the Zebra Danios never had any reasonable experience with them) But I have run discus tanks in that range, with Plecos and Neon Tetras, the regions that they come from it is not uncommon for the water temperature to reach into the mid 80's.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
I had almost the exact same thing happen a few months ago. I lost 4 cardinal tetras and 4 danios over about 10 days. Water parameters were normal, all the fish looked fine up to a few hours befre they died. My other tank was fine. I never did figure it out, just started doing a WC every day, partially because I didn't know what else to do, and bcause I didn't alway find the fish bodies, so I wanted to make sure the ammnoia didn't spike.

Sorry that's not very helpful. :( I would just keep doing WCs, keep an eye on your params.

The only other thing I can think, is that the o2 in the water lowers when the temp goes up. I'd add an airstone, at this point it wouldn't hurt. But I would think you'd see some asping or surface breathing or something.
I'm going to do daily WC, that couldn't hurt. Regarding o2, I have an air stone in there that's on 24 hours. In fact I recently upgraded my air pump from a 20, to a 100 (it outputs to two tanks) The 10g tank with no air stone hasn't had any deaths in months (aside from the snail), so I don't think o2 is the problem here.

The Neons and the Plecos should be fine in that range of heat, (I'm not sure on the Zebra Danios never had any reasonable experience with them) But I have run discus tanks in that range, with Plecos and Neon Tetras, the regions that they come from it is not uncommon for the water temperature to reach into the mid 80's.
So temperature is not the problem? That just makesthis more mysterious.

I'm sorry for your troubles but the sentence above cracked me up!
It's ok.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Could you tell us your parameters. I know you said they were fine, but it would help if you could post the readings on ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph you were getting before and during the time you were losing fish, and also the present ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph.

Also, what kind of test kit do you use; strips or liquid testing?

What do you feed and how often?

It is puzzling right now, but we'll try to help... It could help if you could post any pics of the fish, living and dead if you still have them.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
As of today, using the API Liquid Test Kit:

Ammonia: 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 10
PH: 6.1ish (weird cobalt color)

Before the fish deaths these were always the parameters. I also know I have soft water. Haven't tested for it myself, but according to other New Yorkers our water is soft.

I feed my Betta his own Betta flakes, and the Tetras and Danios Tropical flakes. Although sometimes when I'm lazy I just feed them all the same thing. About once a week I feed em goldfish flakes (just because I have a lot left over). I also give em thawed brine shrimp twice a week. I usually feed twice or three times a day.

No pics of dead of fish, but I'll take a pic of the tank today and post it up.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Columnaris becomes much more lethal as temperature rises; the combination is very dangerous. To combat bacterial infections you need to get the temperature down below 24C.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store