WHICH FISH FOR AQUAPONICS COLD SYSTEM

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscartank

Geophagus and severums is my game
Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
Heyy all!! I am infatuated with this aquaponics trickory, for those not in the know aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture and hydroponics. A triangle of fish farming, crop production and bacteria. The fish waste feeds the plants, some of the plants feed the fish and the bacteria cleans the water in aclosed loop system. I believe that the idea was first used by the egyptians but more recently has been experimented with the space programme. What is the point I hear u cry, well we as top of the food chain benefit from the sale or consumption of fresh veggies nd fishies! The system is totally substainable apart from a pump or two

The rest of the free world {slaves to the banking system i mean} seem to be running away with this green eco system. Some of you enjoy warmer climates than me so helping you farm more efficently. The biggest benifit of this is the nile tilapia, it grows rapidly at 27c reaching 500 to 750grammes in 6 months. I have about three month of the year above the high teens if lucky. This gives you lucky farmers a bi yearly cash crop of tasty white fish. What I am looking for is a way to farm a fish like the tilapia in cloudy South Wales UK. The blue tilapia will do just as well as the nile but still needs to be kept above 22c.

I was thinking of using a pig methane collector and using this methane to fire a boiler as to warm the water. half the chinese population cook in this way so it cant be that hard. Now im running out of space in this overpopulated country. So no space for pigs or the extra cash to keep them.

What the whole point of this post is ''does anyone know of a coldish freshwater fish that I can farm for the greater good of mankind'' A fish that will grow rapidly taste lovely and also give off enough nitrogen to feed all my vegtables? Its a long shot I know but were talkin self sufficent feeding projects. I am thinking of the local trout but they grow slowly and this makes substaining this endevour ever more difficult! Thanks for reading, all imput appreciated!!!:duh:

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If I was raising coldwater fish for food my first choice would be a species of Trout followed by Channel Catfish. I don't think you'd have much luck getting them to eat any appreciable amount of plant material though. None of the species I can think of that would eat plants are imo worth the effort to clean and cook! Carp of various types come to mind.

oscartank

Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
trout was my number one choice as it is very tasty and commands a good price, its down side is its growth rate and its eating habits. Maybe i need a massive blackworm or earthworm culture to feed my fish farm

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There are commercially available Trout pellets designed for exactly what you want to do. I guess you could work a blackworm culture into the system without too much trouble, and earthworms are pretty easy to produce as well but I can't think of any way to incorporate them into the "closed" system you're referring to. Unless the system was MASSIVE enough to allow you to filter water through their substrate in a low enough concentration to avoid drowning them, like nature does.

oscartank

Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
It would be easy to have a little trickle onto a worm culture! No probs! I will her about the land for my poly tunnel this week so ill post an update!

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
I would think the cold water would slow the metabolism of any fish, so nothing is going to grow as quickly. You probably already figured that out though.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket

oscartank

Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture feeding hydroponics, they are not mixed! The real problem is heating the vast amount of water . Truely the water only has to be 27c in the fishery tanks so a boiler powered by methane feeding straight into them and then going back to the system is plausable. I don't think I'm going to find this holy grail type fish so heating the water is the next question! Cows or pigs feeding a collector is being done right now over here, its just a matter of cost or D I Y ing the colector? I'm thinking of moving to cornwall to do this but another question is do they need a aquaponics system in the countryside? The search continues!!

oscartank

Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
Ahh the london market will lap up the greenest food in the world! Hopefully

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store