abn babys pop out of nowhere

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
abn babys just appeared this morning in a 29g i have. I have had 2 plecos in there now for about 3-4 months. I figured they were m/f but never thought of babys so fast. I dont have a cave in there yet just a medium size piece of wood that they get on the bottom of to hide. there is 5 babys today all almost 1" long on the glass. i figure there may have been more babys but with 13 brass tetras and 10 corys cats they probably ate them.
now im thinking to move the plecos in there own tank so i wil get a better fry result. are there any foods i need to put in the tank for the babys or just the normal foods.

how many fry do abn usually have?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
are there any foods i need to put in the tank for the babys or just the normal foods.
Baby bn eat the same things adults do, only less.

how many fry do abn usually have?
First, once they begin to spawn they will normally continue to do so for many years. At first the spawns will be on the small size- 25-30 eggs. As they grow bigger, the spawns will also get bigger. I have had as many as 100+ fry from my oldest pair.

Bn are pretty clever so if they don't have a cave, the will make do with anything close. They do better with a cave though.

Some corys will eat eggs and/or fry. You don't list which corys you have or how big they are, so I can't say if that would be a problem in your tank. If you want to raise the fry with the parents in their own tank, then I would suggest you consider getting a 20L for the pair.

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Keep feeding the "Frenzy" I sent you and get a cave for better results. About once a week I'll split a baby carrot down the middle for them. They sink on their own and don't foul the water. They'll have anywhere from a dozen to forty or fifty fry if they're anything like my pairs. LMK if you need a cave and more food. When they spawn in a cave and start to wiggle, you can pull the cave and place it in another tank. Works like a charm.

Regards-Bob
Captain Bob's Fishtales
captainbobsfood@gmail.com
captainbobsfishtales.com

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
i forgot to ask how fast do they breed ? i counted 18+ today in the tank and the female was out last night and fat. the male finally came out today and the female is in here spot in the wood again.

some of the fry look smaller than others, do the males let the ones out that are big enough or will he let them all go at once. im new to pleco breeding so im interested in all the info lol

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Congrats! I find they are ready to breed anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks later. My species pucallpa bred every 3 weeks, my L144's are ready about every 5. Dad will leave the cave and the babies will find their own way out at their own speed. They don't all come out of the cave at one time. Some are more curious and hungrier than others. But the ones that stay behind in the cave seem to fall behind a bit from lack of exposure to food. Feed them heavy and often for the best growth results. Often people loose their spawns due to insufficient food supply.

Due to a cave mishap recently I had to loosen a spawn from the cave and opted to just take it completely out of the adult tank since it was no longer anchored to the cave. I actually had the eggs in a small kitchen sieve in front of a filter outlet until I saw tails. I helped separate the eggs before I left for vacation, placed them in a very small empty clay flower pot on its side and went on vacation for a week. Came back to find them doing extremely well! Had almost 100% hatch out of it, so now I know not to be afraid to move the eggs out if need be. If you ever have to pull eggs or fry, be sure to match the existing tank water exactly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store