1" pvc

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
well I am installing a Reeflo Hammer Head pump which is rated @ 5700 GPH. I will be using 1.5" out of the tank and 1.5" to the tank where I thought that I would go from the 1.5" to (4) 1" outs into the tank. Will this be ok? I am also considering adding an oceans motions 4 way barrel which will allow water to flow thru 2 of the 1" outs at a time.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
No problem at all. Two 1" pipes have almost the same cross section as a single 1.5" (a little less) so four have the potential to flow alot more than your single 1.5".

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
ok, your talking closed loop. That is different. You just need use whatever size the intake on the pump takes. Output size can be reduced/create backpressure but you don't want to do that on the intake side. 4 1" outputs will not be much flow (jet wise, it will still be what your pump is rated at for the head pressure) unless you use an OM4way. I made my closed loop not for most jet type of flow, but most dispursed flow, just to add more movement in the tank and not use it as jets.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
ok, your talking closed loop. That is different. You just need use whatever size the intake on the pump takes. Output size can be reduced/create backpressure but you don't want to do that on the intake side. 4 1" outputs will not be much flow (jet wise, it will still be what your pump is rated at for the head pressure) unless you use an OM4way. I made my closed loop not for most jet type of flow, but most dispursed flow, just to add more movement in the tank and not use it as jets.
Thanks Ace, in your above reply you mention the OM4way, are you saying that the 4 way will give me more of a"jet" flow. Will this cause posible sand storms? I was told that the 4 way would give me a "rolling flow" and this would cause the water to circulate upward causing the detritus to flow upward and out the overflow. would a combination of the 4 way and a couple of returns not thru the 4 way be a better idea. I have already ordered the 4 way and should be here today. Thanks again.
Robert

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Yes, it will give you more "jet" type of flow because only 2 of the 4 outputs are going at any given time.. but it still gives a rolling current as well. There are so many different possibilities on how to setup a closed loop/OM4 way that you can pretty much design it to be whatever type of flow you want. Just make sure you can easily remove the ends on the inside of the bulkhead to be able to try different things out. Usually the first attempt isn't the best method for closed loop flow.. just have to play with it a little once you get it all up and running. OM4ways are fantastic and you will not be disappointed with it I assure you. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store