Young Goldfish with ammonia burn

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
My Mother in Laws cousin had a fish that she raved about.
We went to see her new home and it was a tiny 1 inch fancy tailed goldfish in a 1 gallon bowl.

I was disgusted. And then she pointed out how he was changing colors and didnt know why, he had all black gills and black tipped fins. and black spot on the top of his head.

I didn't know what it was so when i got home i looked it up...i was so hurt when i seen that her fish had ammonia burn. I still am hurt looking at her.
Anyways i called her and told her she was hurting the fish and if she didnt mind i would take it for her. She was hurt by that too so i took the fish. Until [so she says] she gets a bigger tank. [not that i believe it]

Anyways, shes not acting so much in Pain now, like rubbing against things and swimming very quickly and rubbing against things.
I put her in with my other goldfish and she is tiny compared to them. They are all 4 1/2 inches and shes a mere 1. But they are not mean to her at all.

My question is , will this 'burn' go away? and how long will it bother her? I am worried because now shes in this bigger tank , and the water is clear, i can see her better and it looks very bad.

she likes to keep to herself. im sure its because shes used to 1 gallon of acid in a unfiltered bowl.

Hopefully you guys say she'll be alright...hope i saved a fishy life today.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
She should be fine. Just make sure you check the ammonia levels in your tank periodically. Go to your LFS and get "melafix" and apply proper dosage

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
i need to treat the entire tank then?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Keep a watch on your water parameters. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate right now with the additional fish?

That is indeed ammonia burn. All you need is water changes. Don't waste your time on dosing Melafix.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
i need to treat the entire tank then?

No, you wouldn't treat the whole tank, you would quarantine the fish. You could treat the whole tank, but I wouldn't. Melafix is mostly just a way to speed up the process of healing so listen to Lupin as he is a goldfish master anyway =).

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
UPDATE: the little fish has gills sticking out all over him and swimming fast and they fall off. he looks terrible.

parems.

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates between 0 and 5 not quite as dark as 5.
ph 7.4

im using a liquid test. but she seems to only be getting worse.
shes still very active and eating well.

is this a hopeless case?

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
I had an injured one a while back, and it does look nasty when the dead bits turn colors and start to fall off, especially when they are hanging there like zombie wrappings, but it means the fish is healing. I hope this is what is happening with your little one.

Jen

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Bea- don't give up. I had a fish named "Burnie" (can you guess why?) before I knew any better, and he got very severe ammonia burn ( as in an orange Ryukin turned 1/4 black.) I am ashamed of this story, but it had a happy ending. Burnie recovered completely, grew back beautiful, glossy orange scales and lived for a long time. All I did was keep the params stable and keep the water spotless.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
Kudos for the rescue--hopefully your relative will understand it was the right thing to do.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
ammonia burn goes away with just good water parameters. using melafix is unnecessary. My Mom's fish before we knew about fish had severe ammonia burn and all she did was keep the water pristine and he lived for years

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store