Anyone know if this will work for a turtle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I have an African Mud Turtle (sideneck) and the fixture you are getting is the exact same that I use. The light i am not for sure about, you should provide both UVB and a heat lamp so I have two fixtures. The one in the first link for heat and then just a regular flourescent tube fixture on the other side. The dock will work but I have found that the suction cups wear out EASILY, I even have one I will send you for shipping if I can get it in a flate rate box. I will see if I can get some pics of my setup and post them for you.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Pics would be GREAT!
Mercury vapor lamps provide UVB/UVA and heat,so they are supposed to be the only light you need,rather than having 2.
I would love to know which lights you use though,the lighting has me totally confused.
What size tank is yours in?
What do you use for a basking dock? I was also thinking about the 3rd one down on this page,
http://www.turtlesale.com/home/index.php?page=basking-platforms-page-2
Thanks! :)

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Mine is in a 55. I use the R Zilla brand of heat lamps and like I said just a regular flourescent tube on the other end.. I also don't have a basking platform I have built up an area above mines cave with rocks that he climbs out on and basks. I will get some pics later and post them for sure.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Cool.
What watt heat lamp do you use?

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I am not for sure what wattage the lamp I use is. Here are the pics I promised, please forgive the dried duckweed but with the turtle splashing around in a tank covered in duckweed I have learned it is easiest to not try to keep it perfectly clean. I have also discovered that these turtles spend most of their time underwater and like to have a "cave" or hide spots under the water. I did this by taking a rubbermaid container, used for food storage, and cutting one end off inverting it underwater and piling rocks on top of it. I joke that it is my turtles bedroom:)

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
A few things to help if you haven't come across them on your own...

Best site going on hard core science based Pelusios info worldwide:
http://www.pelusios.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

The concept of using a molded plastic container for the structure and building upon it is a good one. Use of a storage/milk crate type container allows for better water flow/water quality. They are available in a multitude of sizes, sterilte produces some small enough to hold cd's and a variety in between. They tend to be a bit sturdier than standard storage totes, but more difficult to cut smoothly.

A dremmel with the right tool can cut fairly smoothly, but a heat gun, hot knife, or even a soldering iron produce the smoothest edges. Prior to using heat, I tried a variety of rasps and files but the heat option works the best, especially with some of the more brittle plastics.

I'm sorry I'm so inept with pictures and coordinating my camera and computer or I would post some for you.

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
turtle help

I have 5 turtles. 1 painted 3 red ear sliders 1 yellow belly slider They are in two different tanks. I use for lighting two metal domed fixtures. One a basking light that is 50 watts and the other a uvb reptisun light from zoo med I purchase all my supplies from fostersmith.com.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store