pond has worms?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
so this isn't my pond (i don't have one lol) but one of my co workers daughter has a big pond filled with fantails and koi. apparently a couple of days ago worms started to appear behind the fountain(thats all they could see) now the fish are scraching them selfs and jumping wildly. any ideas what could fix it? they had someone at petco give them salt but i don't trust petco so yeah

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
and for the record i have never evan seen this pond, i made the suggestion of a water change and to make sure it's not over stocked i told her at least 20 gallons per fancy tail and probably about 100 gallons per koi. and about 40 for comets or commons.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
If the fish are scratching themselves and jumping, then something's wrong with them, but it's hard to say what without seeing the fish. The worms behind the fountain almost certainly have nothing to do with it.

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
kk well like i said i told her to cheak the stocking and do waterchanges (like i do with my tank) but i've never had a pond so i have no idea

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
I don't keep koi, but it's my understanding that in order to keep them you need at least 1000 gallons. How many gallons is the pond? Have they tested their water?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If the fish are scratching themselves and jumping, then something's wrong with them, but it's hard to say what without seeing the fish. The worms behind the fountain almost certainly have nothing to do with it.
I agree with Noto. I also thought it seemed coincidental that the worms simply appeared while the fish were also scratching around. Any photos of the worms?

Did they treat those fish wit praziquantel before? We can't guarantee unfortunately that in pond, any external parasites and flukes will not happen but luckily, flukes can be removed easily by treating the fish with praziquantel. There could be other parasites that may be the culprit however. Buy Prazipro or Droncit.

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
kk i'll let them know what about the stuff lupin. and i asked them about testing it and she had no idea what i was talking about

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store