how long could a betta hold its breath?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
I have a betta named poo dragon, he made a cave for himself between driftwood and sand and every two minutes he races to the surface for air.

Is this time limit normal ?

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I like its name. Its a betta fish man they get air when they need it lol dont worry about it!

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
Ok, I just figured they could hold their breath for a little longer, he seems to be a little slow minded but has wised up to the tank depth and has so far decided to stay in the upper half of the tank.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Bettas don't hold their breath...they do have gills and can breath under water just like other fish. They've just evolved to use their labyrinth organ to supplement the o2 intake due to their natural waters being low in dissolved o2. They naturally hang near the surface, so this behavior really is not unusual.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Their gills aren't adequate though; they need the labyrinth as well. An anabantoid which is denied access to the surface will eventually drown.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
bettas will race to the surface as a matter of instinct. they may be generations away from their wild counterparts, but its pretty hard to breed primordial instincts out of fish. in the wild, they are used to low-oxygen water and therefore dont take up much oxygen with their gills. that said, they wont necessarily drown from being underwater for long periods of time.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Their gills aren't adequate though; they need the labyrinth as well. An anabantoid which is denied access to the surface will eventually drown.
agreed

:thm:

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
thanks everyone i already knew they, had the labrynth organ, he has plenty of air access, but what i didn't know was that their gills were somewhat functional. he is starting to calm down a bit and getting more confidence in my tank.

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Maybe Poo Dragon :)rofl:) is a bit shy, and that's why he was hiding; but he still needs to come to the surface. Some floating plants might help him feel more comfortble.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store