sundial t5ho vs aquaticlife t5ho for 55gal reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bob4pres

Registered Member
Jan 12, 2009
i have a 55 gallon reef tank. it is alittle over 7 months old. i've been looking to upgrade my old single bulb light that ive had for 10 years now. i've decided on 48" 4x54 t5ho bulbs. i dont want the heat of metal halides. any opinions on which light it better the sundial or aqualitlife lights. the 48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 4 Lunar LEDs look like they just came out. the 48 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x54W w/ Timers & LED have been around awhile. does anyone have any comments on the different timers, or if either lights are hinged for easy access to the tank when cleaning it?
thanks, bob
p.s. my first post!!!

pkumar

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
So Cal
Hi Bob, I've had the 72 in aquatic life fixture up for about 3 months and have been happy with it, funtionally no problems. Still have it on "preset" timer settings from factory. Fixture does not have a hinge to allow for it to flip up for access to the tank. I don't have any experience with the current USA fixture. HTH.
-Prashanth

Gibbous

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
I've got a 30" Sundial that I'm reasonably happy with so far, but I have to say I was a little disappointed in the reflector when I pulled it out of the box. It's all flat sections with a series of roughly 45* bends that create triangular ridges between the bulbs to direct the light downward. Not as good as individual parabolic reflectors. It's hard to tell what kind of reflector is on the aquaticlife from the pictures I've just looked at, maybe pkumar can elaborate on that.

It also looks like the LED's on the aquaticlife are in the center of the fixture, in contrast to the Sundial which has them on the rear. As a result of that placement the front of my tank doesn't get much of the light from the LED's.

The timers are fine, and no hinges on this one either. The stock bulbs that come with the Sundial are pretty lame, I replaced them with Geisemans and there was a considerable improvement in light output.

I didn't know about the aquaticlife until I read this, it would have been a serious contender if I had seen it when I was buying...

rcervel

AC Members
Sep 29, 2007
New York
I have the 30" Sundial, no complaints, except for no hinge to do work on the tank. The timers come in pretty handy and eliminate the need for supplemental timers in the outlets.

bob4pres

Registered Member
Jan 12, 2009
well i decided on the aquaticlife light with timers. i've had it up and running for a month or so now. very happy with it. the tank looks great, and now i have corals too!!

hmotorsol

AC Members
Apr 25, 2008
The things to look for in a t5 setup is individual reflectors and active cooling. This what sets them apart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store