Need help identifying ...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silvercat151

AC Members
Aug 26, 2009
Hi, I'm new here, and fairly new to fish - long story ... Anyway I rescued a pretty goldfish from Wal-Mart (I consider most of my fish purchases rescues!) and it had a small round, red lesion on one side near it's dorsal fin with a white centre that protrudes. I treated the water with Melafix and it seemed to go but today, some weeks later, I notice it's back again. Any idea what this might be? I will try to take a photo later when I have time. Meanwhile any suggestions that I can proceed to investigate would be appreciated! Other fish in the tank seem unaffected, and the fish in question seems happy and healthy apart from this.

silvercat151

AC Members
Aug 26, 2009
I would post a photo as soon as you can...also do you have a QT tank?

Maybe a mod can move this to the coldwater disease forum.
Ah sorry - so new I haven't found my way around properly yet. I have started a new thread o coldwater disease forum with photos

silvercat151

AC Members
Aug 26, 2009
Now this thread has been moved, and has photos, can anyone help please? In profile, the white bit sticks out ...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
:welcome: to AC!

Someone had an issue about her own goldfish before that seems similar to yours.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202688

Perhaps, this may be the one case where we could shed light on why the lesion keeps coming back. Have you noticed the fish swimming listlessly or scratching on the same area? I was thinking the culprit could be parasites. My experience with fish lice is they leave wounds mysteriously at first until you see the actual culprits.

What are the water parameters of your tank at ths very moment? How big is the tank? What are your goldfish's tankmates?

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.:thumbsup:

silvercat151

AC Members
Aug 26, 2009
Well the fish isn't listless, nor scratching or showing any signs of distress that I can see, and has been behaving the same as the other goldfish in it's tank, a red one. I have a 10 gallon tank - upgrading in the next few days to a 29 gallon tank - and will have to check water parameters and get back to you when I get time tonight, but I do a 50% water change weekly. Interestingly, Wal-mart, where I got this fish from, now have other goldfish that have come in with it, as I noticed and drew the manager's attention to yesterday. The same red lesions with a white centre. I also noticed that the Black Moors at Wal-Mart, in a separate tank, had the white protrusions, (couldn't see any red around them), but the protrusions were longer. In fact looking around the internet, the nearest I can find is anchor worms. Maybe this is an emerging one? I am going to treat with parasite meds, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Good grief! Could you please take photos of those in the store? This certainly sounds like anchorworm infestation to me. If you are suspecting external parasites such as anchorworms, then if you see adult ones protruding on the skin of the fish, remove them with tweezers or forceps carefully by pulling from the head of the parasite embedded on the skin. Dab the wounds with iodine solution to allow the wounds to heal quickly. I would go with either dimilin or trichlorfon although trichlorfon is more toxic but I went for trichlorfon when I tried to eradicate emerging juvenile fish lice and anchorworms. Trichlorfon is available under several names such as masoten, dylox, neguvon, etc. Be careful when handling both chemicals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store