Dwarf Chain Loach Tank build(pics coming!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
My parent's recently moved into a new house and they decided that they wanted a somewhat large aquarium for their living room. I bought them a 60gal show tank(approx. 50"x13"wx24" tall) and decided to place it on a stand between two rooms instead of on a counter.

The tank will be viewed from both sides, so I am going to work on hiding cords/tubing better as I complete the flora stocking as well as the hardscape. I currently have a Rena XP3 filtering the tank, along with a homemade powerhead/spongefilter combo doohickey for extra current and a bit more filtration. The substrate is pool sand. Lighting is accomplished with a Current USA Orbit PC fixture(running 2x65w 6700k bulbs).

For plants, I am looking to have: hairgrass(Eleocharis sp), I believe I have a some kind of aponogetons, Fissidens fontanus, Rotala rotundifolia, and cardinal plant(not sure on scientific name yet). I will have some more plants, probably Vallisneria asiatica, possibly some swords, and who knows what else.

Fish will be: dwarf chain loaches(Y. sidthimunki), and to be honest, I have no idea what else.

I took pics, but alas I can't find my camera cable. Digicams and I do not get along well, I'll try and put up some pics soon.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Can't wait to see some pics. I really like sids. I'd do some rasboras or barbs with them. I really like espei rasboras and if you can find them, roseline sharks would be AWESOME in that tank

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Mmmm... roseline sharks WOULD be awesome. They are pretty darn expensive though, arent they?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
A group of about 36 ember tetras would bbe stunning. I have a group that large in my 75G tank. They are almost always together as a group and their color is beautiful! I have about a dozen in the sids tank so they get along just fine, but 12 doesn't look anything like 36.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thanks, thats a good idea too. Debbi, have you ever seen your sids harass any tankmates?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
No, not at all. They get into their own little squabbles amongst each other. Now their barbels are stiff and I would think they feel like a tiny prickle. I've seen the albino cories do a little jump when the sids get their faces that close to the cories, but no harm done. They live in harmony.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I keep my sids with striatas, espei & red tailed rasboras, SAEs & roselines. When I first added the SAE the sids wanted to hang out with him, similar color pattern. They tried to "dance" with him but he's too slow when cruising the glass.

I've never seen them harass anyone, very occaisional sparring between sids. Some live under driftwood with striatas at 1 end, others with different striatas at the other. Seems like 1 fat female is at each end, maybe they have matriarchies?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Cool, cool. I wasn't sure if they were slightly aggressive or not, I had read that on one or two sites somewhere.

I'll get the pics done up by this weekend

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
Look forward to seeing the pics. On the camera cable I have been looking for mine for weeks. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store