what should i feed my bumble bee goby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
i just got a bumblebee goby about a week ago, and im not sure what to feed it. with all the other fish in the tank, he rarely seems to eat alot (he looks fine though)

i feed them dried bloodworms and flake food daily, frozen bloodworms once or twice a week.

any suggestions or experiences?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Bumblebees are funny little fish. They have the type of eating habit where they sit and wait for food to float by, rather then hunt for it like a lot of other fish do.

The best way to feed bbgs is to have current flowing along the bottom of the tank. This can be done with a powerhead.

They prefer meaty foods such as bloodworms (frozen, freezedried have very little nutritional value) and black worms, brineshrimp, etc. They don't often eat flake.

There are also many different species marketed as bbgs, some are brackish and some a fresh. That will make a big difference on the health of the fish.

Kristina

Madding

A frog among toads.
Apr 12, 2009
New York
I have ten bumblebee gobies and they refuse anything but live food. Don't assume he is eating anything unless you are seeing it, they are extremely picky and many owners have their BBG's literally starve to death because they won't give them live food.

They also do better in groups and likely would benefit from some salt to their tank.

Good luck, and you might want to start investing in live food. They're little guys and can't go as long as most fish without food. Mine eat bloodworms.

Gobioides

AC Members
Oct 27, 2008
I feed my BBG's frozen bloodworms. They go for it and even pick them off the bottom.
Also I'd recommend keeping them in brackish. Naomi Delventhal told me that the most Brachygobius doriae she ever saw in one place was in a brackish mangrove system.
Mine are doing very well in low-end brackish (1.005) and have spawned more times than I've counted.

Alfa75racer

AC Members
May 5, 2007
Massachusetts
I have 2 BB Gobies in my 120g along with a striped raphael, they are all about 6+ years old. My gobies eat just about anything that sinks from frozen blood worms, broken up algae dics, to those red carnivore sticks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store