winterizing a pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
I have a buddy here at work that is looking at a cabin here in MI. It has a pond & waterfall feature that is roughly 750 - 1000 gallons and has some large size goldfish ( someone told him they were KOI but he thinks their just large goldfish). What should he do for the winter months thru spring to keep the fish from dying or freezing?
I told him that I had heard that the fish hibernate. ( not real sure though). will he need to cover it or will the movement from the pump & waterfall be enough to keep it from freezing? what about feeding? Is there a automatic feeder that he should use? He will only be able to go up 1-2 times a month. Basically how should he winterize the pond. I don't think that the original owners are around. Might be a foreclosure type thing so he can't ask what they did for the winter months. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Robert

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
If the pump will stay running all winter then there's probably not much that needs to be done. I turn my pump off to save electricity and just run an airstone to keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange, which is all that's really necessary.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
If the pump will stay running all winter then there's probably not much that needs to be done. I turn my pump off to save electricity and just run an airstone to keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange, which is all that's really necessary.

He said the pump is a good sized canister so he should be ok letting it run, (right). Now you mention an airstone, how big of a air pump needs to be attached to it? Is this used only if he turns the pump off and if the pump is left on, the flow should be enough to keep fresh air flowing? What about the feeding while he's gone and not able to go up for a few weeks at a time? Thanks Sploke.
Robert

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Feeding:
45-50 deg. low temp. food couple times a week
45 feeding stops all together.

Feeding a good amount of protein and fat prior to winter will fatten up the fish and prpare them for winter.

He needs only to keep a hole in the ice with a pump, air stone, or run the filter/falls. I would stay away from running the waterfall/filter since a canister and will be exposed to the elements.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
my sister has a pond and shuts all her equipment down once the water hits 50 defrees F, and when it gets to 40, she puts a floating pond heater on the surface to keep a hole in the ice during the winter months for the gas exchange. The fish don't really hibernate like a bear does but their metabolism slows considerably through the winter so even feeding is stopped after the water is about 55.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
I'm sorry but I still have a question, some are mentiong the "air stone". Is this with or without a pump hooked up? I understand it's to let the gasses escape but how exactly is it used? I see tat you are mentioning to have a hole in the ice to allow the gas to escape but how with an airstone? My mind is thinking of 1 of those little airstones that we used to use in a goldfish bowl when I was a child. Is there something different that I don't know about ( I'm sure there is)? Thanks again
Robert

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
my sister has a pond and shuts all her equipment down once the water hits 50 defrees F, and when it gets to 40, she puts a floating pond heater on the surface to keep a hole in the ice during the winter months for the gas exchange. The fish don't really hibernate like a bear does but their metabolism slows considerably through the winter so even feeding is stopped after the water is about 55.

Defrees???? what are defrees?????

:popcorn:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I use the largest whisper air pump they had at walmart. I put the air pump in my basement and run an airline tube outside to the pond. I didn't bother using an air stone - I did for a while, but the air moved slowly enough with it that condensation built up in the line and it froze and blocked up. With just an open airline tube end, I think the air moves fast enough to keep any condensation from freezing.

Yes to allow for gas exchange you need to have some sort of hole in the ice. By using airflow to constantly disturb the surface, this keeps the water from freezing. Its not so much the air as just the disturbace - you could do the same thing with a powerhead a few inches below the surface aimed straight up to keep some surface flow going and keep it from freezing.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Defrees???? what are defrees?????

:popcorn:
:silly::nutkick:

I use the largest whisper air pump they had at walmart. I put the air pump in my basement and run an airline tube outside to the pond. I didn't bother using an air stone - I did for a while, but the air moved slowly enough with it that condensation built up in the line and it froze and blocked up. With just an open airline tube end, I think the air moves fast enough to keep any condensation from freezing.

Yes to allow for gas exchange you need to have some sort of hole in the ice. By using airflow to constantly disturb the surface, this keeps the water from freezing. Its not so much the air as just the disturbace - you could do the same thing with a powerhead a few inches below the surface aimed straight up to keep some surface flow going and keep it from freezing.
this is a good idea too, I never really thought anything but a heater would work. I actually like it better than the heater idea because sometimes my sister would end up going out and chipping away at the ice around the heater even... as if it didnt really work or because the air was too cold for it, and it was colder before the heater could adjust... hard to explain....

I would go with Sploke's suggestion... and seeing that he is up in Connecticut, you "know" there are icing issues that need addressing... if he's licked it, it must work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store