slight new look to tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Well, I was lucky to come into some bonus money at work so decided to treat myself to 2 new pieces of equipment.

This was the old look:

And now the new look with the new equipment:

The new MP20:

controller:

3 holes drilled ready for the piping the piping for the GHL dosing unit:

GHL Independant 3 pump dosing unit in place:

Left cupboard: Plugs and timers for ATI lights, fan and moonlight, PH monitor, Tunze auto top up and top up water container
Center: GHL dosing unit and 3 section glass tank for balling solutions
Right cupboard: External filter (feeding UV unit and phos reactor) containing purigen, granular carbon and floss, KZ blue bottles on shelf

Full tank shots:

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
dude omg nice *** tank im so jealous haha! all the stuff you have for equipment is ridiculous as well. I was thinking about buying an MP10 for my 34 gal im getting do you think it does whats itd advertised to do!?

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
dude omg nice *** tank im so jealous haha! all the stuff you have for equipment is ridiculous as well. I was thinking about buying an MP10 for my 34 gal im getting do you think it does whats itd advertised to do!?
We don't have them over here in the UK yet but I know a lot of people who have pre ordered them.

It does pretty much the same as the MP20/40 but on a smaller scale so I would say a big yes to the MP10.

Some people who have seen it in action say that for the size you won't get a better pump.

As for my equipment there is also a 15w UV unit and a phosphate reactor attached to the wall on the right hand side of the tank that is hidden from view as the tank is at an angle. Both the UV and reactor are fed via the external and the flow into each bit of equipment is controlled via ehiem taps.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Nice! Is it just me or have you added even more corals and had a huge growth spurt since the last time you posted pics? Tank looks amazing! I have wanted a doser like that for a while now.. still a little ways down the road for me though.

To help answer the question above, they dose at a rate you set on the controller, ie, 1ml an hour. They do not test your water and add as needed, so there is still a chance of over/under dosing with those. You have to play with them for a few weeks to get them "dialed in", then you still have to test a couple times a month as corals grow to see if you need to "up" the dosage levels.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
That is awesome. How does the dosing system work? Is it just auto dose or is there a measuring system attached (only doses when needed)?

That must have been a nice bonus!!
It takes a good bit of planning prior to using. I had to test my tank daily for about a month to guage what was being utilised by my corals.

I lose:

1dkh per day in alkalintiy
2ppm of calcium per day
2ppm of magnesium per day

You then mix the quantaties of raw chemicals you need

2 litres RO/100g of Sodium bicarb - 20ml of solution = 1g of sodium bicarb
2 litres RO/200g of Calcium Chloride - 10ml of solution = 1g of cal chloride
1.5 litre RO/24g mag chloride, 3g mag sulfate

You then have to calculate your dosing requirements and set each one of the pumps accordingly.

Pump 1 is set to dose 2 x 10ml doses of the calcium solution per day which equates to 2g of caclium chloride per day = a rise of 3ppm in my tank. Over 7 days this dosing keeps my calcium level at 420ppm

Pump 2 is set to dose 10 x 25ml of the magnesuim solution over 7 days so after the 7 days the full 1.5 litres is gone raising the mag level by 20ppm over a 7 day period keeping my mag level at 1350

Pump 3 is set to dose 10 x 10ml of the sodium bicarb solution which equates to 5g of sodium bicarb per day = a rise of 1dkh in my tank. Over 7 days this keeps my alk level at a steady 8

So yes, it's automatic but you have to set it correctly lol.

I have the alk being dosed over night in 30 minute intervals from midnight till 0430
I have the first 5 mag doses being dosed in 30 minute intervals from 0600 to 0800
The first calcium dose is set at 1000, the second at 1200
The last 5 mag doses are set to be dosed every 30 mins from 1400 to 1600

Last edited:

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Nice! Is it just me or have you added even more corals and had a huge growth spurt since the last time you posted pics? Tank looks amazing! I have wanted a doser like that for a while now.. still a little ways down the road for me though.
No, it's not just you lol. More corals have been added but yes they have also had a growth spurt although since adding the Vortech the corals look so much better, especially the LPS.

There is a Koralia 3 hidden behind the rockwork on the righ of the tank pointing upwards.

With the Koralia 3 and the vortech my combined litres per hour is 10770. My tank after displacement holds around 160 litres of water giving me a turnover of 67 x tank volume per hour.
Because of the placements of the 2 powerheads I get a lot of flow around the top of the tank and a decent but not to powerful flow around the bottom of the tank.

The MP20 is set on Lagoon mode which means it ramps up and down at random speeds/times for 14 hours per day until 2245 when it enters night mode where it does the same thing but at 50% of the power.

The tank also gets 2 feeding times on an evening where the pump power drops right down for 10 minutes after putting it into feed mode, after the 10 minutes it restarts the lagoon mode setting automatically.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Mind if I come and take that tank off of your hands for you?

No?

Okay, I'll be there in a few hours :]

I really can't wait to go salty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store