Ocellaris clownfish tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
I am throroughly considering starting a SW tank to resue "nemo" from a LFS. He has some fin damage, not bad, but it would need to be treated with some sort of fin rot medication im assuming.
I have heard mixed reviews about tank size for them, as they only get 4-5"... and I am only planning on keeping one and possibly some cleaner shrimp to cut down on cleaning every day, lol.

I was thinking about no live rock or anemone... as I will be new to this, and I have heard you should wait a year anyways.

I was just thinking plain decorations and hiding places for the clown.

Ive heard reviews that they only need 10 gallons to people saying they need 30 gallons per fish... for a 4-5" fish?

I was wondering if 20 gallons would be okay for him?

As well, anyone else want to divulge any info for me?

Ive never done SW, and Im hoping it wont be rediculously expensive, as I allready have the tank.

What kidn of filter should I use? Would a fluval u2 work?
any special things I should know about SW?

I know about premaking water etc.... but anything else?

It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(p.s, Im not just rescuing him cause hes a clownfish named nemo, im resuing him because I have the time and dedication to take care of him)

pp.s Im going to grab some filter media from the LFS to jump start the cycle in this tank this time :)

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Thats okay. I think I will have lots of time to do that. That fish isnt going anywhere... the LFS gets wayyy too much business due to him, but they are willing to let him go to me because they know me :)

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
1 clownfish is fine in a 10G. Your 20G is great for him. Fluval should work fine. Fish Only saltwater is actually just as easy as FW... it is when you start getting into corals that things start to get really expensive and complication at times. Just need a small powerhead like a Koralia2 or Maxijet 1200 and a heater to get the ball rolling.

My first SW fish only tank had crushed coral/under gravel filter and ceramic FW decorations and some reason it did ok (with a lot of weekly work on it). Not that I would recommend any of that.. just pointing out even doing things what most people would consider wrong/bad still isn't the worst thing in the world.. just means you have to clean it a little more often.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
bump.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Im looking to buy a nano cube or a bio cube... just to cut down on space because of my MIL. I found a 12 gallon one.
Wuold the upkeep be rediculous? I was thinking maybe a 25-40% w/c weekly...
anything else?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store