Red Fins On Balla Shark (Silver Shark)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aushifty

AC Members
Aug 29, 2009
Hi im new to this forum this is actualy my first post so if im doing anything wrong please tell me anyway i have a 66l hexagonal mega tank with 4 glowlites 4 phantoms and 4 red minor serpae tetra plus two silver sharks my ph levels are about 7.3 temprature about 23c and its been runing for about four months and i do regular water changes 20l on sunday and usualy another ten during the week but about 5days ago i noticed that one of the sharks had red on the lower part of the top fin was red and looks kinda like blood vessels so i cam to this site and read the article about ammonia and red fins so i changed about 60% of the water but he is still not looking good the red is still on his fin it hasent got worse but it hasent goten any better and now he just swims at the top of the tank facing upwards and is gasping heavily but all the other fish are fine no signs of the red fin on any of them so i dont get what is wrong with him but i did lower my ph by putting a bucket of water with ph of about 6.8ish in about 7 days ago could this have burnt him or something? or is this a disease and should i take him out of the tank? i dont have a qurantine tank so this means killing him and my girlfreind loves the fish so i realy dont want to do that please someone help me

thankyou hopefuly i have given enough info

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The tank is too small for bala sharks as they need length for swimming more-so than height or width.

You may have what is known as red pest. Incorrect Ph, poor water, stress, and other things can cause it. Use of an antibiotic is recommended as well as a proper tank of at least 48". These sharks get in excess of 8" long and need plenty of swimming room.

Gasping at the surface indicates a lack of O2, excess CO2, toxins, or shock. Hex tanks need some assistance in getting O2 to lower levels of tank.

Last edited:

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
:iagree:
It is possibly caused by ammonia poisoning. Your tank is overstocked (Balas need at least a 90g tank IMO) and the fish are producing lots of waste which may be causing it. What are your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Don't mess with your pH, it's fine as it is. That can be stressfull for fish.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Given their adult size (exceeding a foot) balas need more floorspace than the current tank. I'd actually look for something that is more than 48" long and at least 18" wide personally as they should be kept in groups.

I'm curious as to your parameters as well. Do you have a good liquid test kit?

aushifty

AC Members
Aug 29, 2009
no i dont have a nitrate or amonia test kit but i took a sample to the pet shop and the girl done a full test for everything for me and she recons everything was spot on perfect and the sharks are only babies about 2cm and 2.5cm in size but i did do a 60% water change about a week b4 the test and i got pimafix anti fungus and antibact solution its the third day and im about to treat them again it says to treat for seven days and the fish is still gasping and at the top of the tank but it looks like the redness might be starting to go away so it might be red bug but b4 i started the treatment i noticed his mouth has got it a little bit and it looks sorta like veins or something and another question is the pimafix said for best results to take out the carbon but i didnt should i? or if i dont it sais to change 25% of the water after the seven days do ya think i should change my filters after the treatment or will they still be ok? and thanks guys for your replys and i will let yas know what hapens but any more ideas would be much apreciated

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I personally put no faith in pimafix or melafix in spite of manufacturers claims. The veins that you see is indicative of what is called "Red Pest".

Red Pest (Bacterial)
Red pest is so called because of the red streaks that occur on the skin, that may lead to ulcerations, and fin or tail rot, causing parts of the fins or tail to actually drop off. This bacteria infects the fish internally and externally, and treatment is not usually effective. If fish are only lightly infected you can try to eradicate this problem by sterilising the aquarium with Acriflavine or Monacrin. Giving the aquarium a good clean up is also helpful, feed lightly whilst treating. Personally I would not bother with treatment as by the time you notice this bacteria it is usually well advanced, and the fish are already suffering.
Fin Rot (Bacterial)
Usually the secondary stage of Red Pest (above). Several bacteria can cause it. If the fish reaches this stage then you will have to use Anti-Biotic to eradicate. Remember to remove all filtration as the Anti-Biotic will kill the beneficial bacteria. Typical symptoms are: discoloration of the fins (in early stages may go unnoticed), fins become ragged and frayed, and in terminal stages only shreds of the fin or tail remain. Can lead to secondary fungus infections. The main causes are improper maintenance routine, infrequent water changes, temperatures too low for the fish being kept. This is a highly contagious disease.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Where did you get this info on "red pest"?

I believe what this fish is suffering from is an internal bacterial infection. This is called septicemia. I am currently treating for septicemia. Pima/mela did not work. Furan 2 seems to be working. I've heard that a mix of Maracyn, and Maracyn 2 will work better. You do need to remove the carbon, because It will remove the meds. Can you get pictures?

These symptoms could also be from ammonia poisoning. Ammonia should be 0.

If this is septicemia, it is often fatal. However, if the only noticeable symptom is minor redness near the dorsal, it is still in very early stages and will be quite treatable. Is that the only fish that is gasping? If so, it may be affecting the gills. I would reccomend starting maracyn and maracyn 2, or furan 2 asap.

I agree, those fish will NOT do well in that tank, long term.

Once again, pictures will help us give a more positive ID.

Last edited:

aushifty

AC Members
Aug 29, 2009
well guys i woke up this morning and the fish has died but to awnser your questions yes he was the only fish that was gasping the rest seem to be healthy exept the glowlites which have been fin nipped a bit and startet to form a white globish lookingspot on there fins but since i started treatment whith the pimafix this is going away anyway i will try and get some photos to upload so yas can see my tank, and do ya think i should keep medacating them with the pima or do a water and filter change instead seeing all the rest seem healthy? and just another question my tank is about four months old so i was wonderin if i have to clean the bio balls or do i just leave them for the bacteria to grow? thanks for your help im still a novice at this and your help is very valuble

aushifty

AC Members
Aug 29, 2009
i will take a photo of the dead fish after i get home from town so yas can see the simptoms for your self so hopefully you can tell me what ya think it was and then i can have a better idea how to avoid it hapening again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store