can freshwater ich affect salties?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
So this may be a stupid question, I understand that freshwater ich and marine white spot are different diseases but I have a freshwater tank that just started showing signs of ich and I'm a lil freaked cause I have been using the same gravel vac on both. I assume since salt is the natural arch-enemy of ich that it could not survive. do you think I am totally off base or could this be a problem?:confused:

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Well, sort of...saltwater ich is caused by Cryptocaryon protozoans as opposed to Ichthyophthirius with freshwater ich...
Thanks jpappy - I thought I had read there was a SW equivalent; but in this case there's no danger of cross-contaminating the other tank, right?

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No. Neither species can really tolerate osmotic pressures outside of their preferred range. There are some strains that are pretty tolerant, however, making it possible in rare cases to transfer into brackish water (this primarily refers to Cryptocaryon--I haven't checked if Ichthyophthirius is as tolerant).

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
Awesome guys thanks for the replies, I didn't figure I had to much to worry about, still been bleaching the buckets and hoses just cuze I'm a stress mess naturally lol:nilly:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
No. Neither species can really tolerate osmotic pressures outside of their preferred range. There are some strains that are pretty tolerant, however, making it possible in rare cases to transfer into brackish water (this primarily refers to Cryptocaryon--I haven't checked if Ichthyophthirius is as tolerant).
There is at least one strain of Ichthyopthirius that will tolerate salt levels of .6% which is double the recommended salt dosage in ponds to prevent it. Not sure what translates to in SG, but it's nowhere near SW salinity.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
^^ 6ppt or ~1.005. The most tolerant Cryptocaryon strains have been found in salinity as low as 1.004, but again, those are exceedingly rare from what I've observed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store