Who's the culprit?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Here's my current stocking list:

Coral Beauty
Blue/Green Chromis
Mated pair of Diamond Gobies
Hawaiian Feather Duster
Emerald Crab
Coral Banded Shrimp
and the usual clean-up crew....

First, I added a domino damsel (to my dismay, found it was a mean little thing). And he suddenly disappeared after having him for a week.
Tried again a few weeks later with a 6-line Wrasse.
He was there when the lights went off last night....and this morning he is no where to be found.

So....whoever is snatching my fish is obviously nocturnal.
My question is.....who is the culprit?
It's gotta be either the coral banded or emerald crab.....any ideas?
If that's the case, I want to remove him before my entire tank disappears over night.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Coral banded is the obvious choice, although 6 lines are famous jumpers also. Check behind the tank, overflow box, filters, etc. I lost a 6 line once due to jumping, looked everwhere, and it wasn't until I moved the tank/stand to a different location did I find it dried up under the bottom of the stand.. how it managed to get there was a mystery to me. You do have 2 diamond gobies though, which are even more famous for jumping than a 6 line... so maybe you have a closed top and jumping isn't an option.. not sure on your setup.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Well, the first thing I thought when I found out he was missing was that he had jumped out. So, I searched all around the tank, filters, and the floor and underneath the stand....but nothing. I suspect that isn't the reason as I keep a tight lid on my tank.

I had a feeling that the coral banded was the culprit.....but can he really eat an entire 6-line overnight? Or is he stashing it away somewhere I can't find??

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
The weirdest thing is....this tank has had the aforementioned list of livestock for the longest time. This is the first attempt to add any livestock for about two months.
It seems as though the only fish that disappear are the ones that I add. I wonder if it's my tank's way of saying "no more".....

ram303

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
darwin australia
very unlikely. where did you get your live rock i would say you have a good sized crab in there somewhere that's would be my guess. and a mantis shrimp doesn't make a clicking sound That would be a pistol shrimp.. I have had both., I have a little pistol shrimp in my tank now. annoys the hell outta me i keep thinking my tank is cracking.lol
get a blue led light and search your live rock in the dark i bet you will find a large leg or two sticking outta somewhere. You may even find the remains of your fish hidden inside a piece of rock....
all the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store