%^#$%#$% bladderwort

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
How do I get rid of this crap? I don't know where it came from, but it is now firmly established in my 10gal. I have been trying to remove it manually, but it appears that all I have managed to do is keep it at its current infestation levels.

Is there anything that eats this stuff, or something I can dose that only it is sensitive to? I am currently contemplating an excel nuke, but I really don't want to lose my java and string moss...

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Doing more of my own research, I found a thread that mentions amphipods eating lesser bladderwort....

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Not what I was hoping to hear, but seems like that is going to be the only real option here.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
I got it too. I've read that the only way to remove it is tweezers and patience. It can withstand direct dosing of Excel. Blocking out the light doesn't help. It's pretty resilient stuff. I get upset everytime I see one of those little thin lines with bladders attached.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Wow, so it seems like if we endured a nuclear war bladderwort and cockroaches would be the two things to survive eh? geez...

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Hahaha!

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Bladderwort is pretty difficult to get rid of. It doesn't need supplemental nutrients to survive since it is a carnivorous plant that feeds on small organisms, even up to fish fry size. The flowers are quite nice though, often compared with orchid or snapdragon blooms.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
A fry eating plant? Seriously? So, really, that movie, "The Ruins" isn't that far off... If there are fry eating plants, and fly eating plants... it wouldn't take a whole lot of evolution for a one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater plant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store