Super Strange Stray Voltage Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Hi guys,
well I have been getting the slightest of slight shocks for a long time in my sump. Decided to fix it today, so I bought two ground probes. Put one in the sump, and one in the tank, just to be sure. Now, when I stick my finger in the sump, I still get a very slight shock (so slight that I can only feel it in my finger that has a cut). I put the same finger in the tank and I don't feel a thing, so it's not just the burn from the salt. The shock goes away when rubber soled shoes are put on. I got the voltage meter, and I had .365 volts in my sump, and 0.001 in my tank. Now, here's the weird part. I unplugged every single last thing associated with my tank, and I STILL GET A SHOCK
I know it's not a big shock, but it's annoying. It's painful enough that I want to fix it.

Has anyone ever heard of this? There's no aquarium devices that store voltage, are there?

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Might be a faulty outlet all together...if you don't have a GFCI power outlet hardwired into your wall where your tank is, I would recommend getting one from home depot and installing it or having an electrician do it if you cannot yourself.

I had the same problem a while ago at my old apartment. I switched outlets because the one the tank was plugged into was controlled by the light switch in my room, so I changed it to another one. After that, we kept getting shocked and couldn't figure out the problem for the longest time. I even had the outlet checked with a meter and it said it was fine...I switched back to the other outlet and it stopped.

Now in our house, I had a GFCI outlet installed where the tank is specifically for the tank and all my wiring, equipment (surge protectors) is screwed or stuck to the wall with velcro because if any water leaks out of the sump and touches that stuff, it automatically shuts down the system.

Here, I think it was the reason I joined here and the first thread I started. :lol2:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140765

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I believe 2 grounding probes is actually worse than no grounding probes if memory serves me. With 2 probes the stray current goes between the probes to create a circuit. Not 100% on that so don't go by that as the truth.. but try removing the probe from the tank and see if it still happens.

Also, put the probe in your sump as close to a heater as possible and see if you still get shocked, if not, that is your problem, the heater, if you do, try it next to your return pump. You want the shortest distance possible from the thing leaking the most voltage to ground to have the shortest circuit possible. Still, you want to replace whatever it is causing you to be shocked like that.. but I suspect it is a heater causing it.

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
All heaters are unplugged. Every single item is unplugged from its power strip, and the powerstrips are unplugged from the portable gfci, and the portable gfci is unplugged from the wall outlet.

Took a ground probe out, same thing

where on earth could the voltage be coming from?

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
All heaters are unplugged. Every single item is unplugged from its power strip, and the powerstrips are unplugged from the portable gfci, and the portable gfci is unplugged from the wall outlet.

Took a ground probe out, same thing

where on earth could the voltage be coming from?
Static electricity ! ok maybe not... ummm God is saying LET MY FISH GO!

ok maybe not that :huh:

Serious thought: Possibly from you? Also is there any way to test if there is a current with a volt meter?
I dont know... I didn't pay attention in the electric side of shop....

I did used to do wire running in homes for phone and cat 5....and those phone guys put line in stupid places...

A huge stretch...but lets say your floors were recently wet....and you have a wire fished under the carpet...or floor from crawl space running and its exposed.....maybe water +exposure +you touching the water while on a wet spot = contact for stray current...

Thats a huge huge stretch though....im so stumped on this... Is it possible the tingling in that cut is from the salt in the wound and not current =)....

Volt meter may be able to give you a reading....im not sure...but you can call a electrician and ask...im sure they can help answer that.

PS: Old posts on reef frontiers... stray volt wipes out snails...so its not a perfect way to determine if you have stray current....but mass freak death of snails is a sign you may have a stray current.

Last edited:

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
multimeter shows 0.365 volts. Ground probe didn't take it away, and it doesn't trip the GFCI. Such a small amount, but I do feel it. It's not the salt im feeling because it goes away when i put sneakers on.

I don't know, maybe I'll just put aqua gloves on when im in the sump and live with it. I'll monitor it to make sure it doesn't get any stronger, but if its 0 volts in the tank, I guess it's no biggie.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
What kind of flooring do you have? Hardwood, carpet, etc? The only time I ever got a shock from my tank was in my early days when I had a spill on the carpet, kneeled down in the wet carpet and put my hand in the sump. When the carpet was dry it wouldn't cause a shock.. that was when I first learned about grounding probes and electricity in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store