Moray Eel sick again :*( PLEASE HELP!!! Weird algae growing too!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
I bought a freshwater moray eel about a month ago and he was doing fine at first. I know he's been eating bc fish kept disappearing as well as the ghost shrimp. Now he's been laying on his side breathing and doesn't really move. I even touched him gently to see what he'd do and he just sat there like he was sick. He looks fine, just past 2 days been laying on his side. I feel horrible that he's sick and have no IDEA what to do or where to start. I have noticed weird algae growing (rust color and bright green like a green highlighter on my river rocks too) and I don't know if that's it or not. I have the water brackish between fresh/salt currently. What do I need to do? I can't find anything!!! THANKS FOR LOOKING!!!!

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
A quick google search showed me that their brackish fish and can be difficult to keep. What are your current water parameters?

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
How long has the tank been set up?

What size is the tank?

What are you water parameters (ammo, nitrItes, nitrAtes, temp, SG)?

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
It's currently a 39 gallon due to moving. He'll be put in a 55 gallon this coming friday and eventually I will turn it into all salt which they prefer. I don't know the water parameters currently but I will check them immediatly when I go home. What would you recommend? I thought Nitrates and Nitrites were the only ones to worry about? Any suggestions on the rust/bright green algae on my river rocks?

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
tank has been together for over a month and has previous rocks from other tank put into it. He was fine at first until yesterday he just started sleeping on his side. Usually when I turn the light on he darts in his pvc piping but today he didnt...just sat there sick...

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Ammonia and nitrItes are a much bigger issue than nitrAtes. Temp and specific gravity matter, because they will affect how the fish acts more easily than ammonia or nitrItes (because these shouldn't be a problem in a cycled tank).

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Ive had it setup for a month and have done 1 water change. What's weird is I put some rosie reds in and they all died immediatly it seemed like. Could this be a sign somethings off? I dont know bc I never asked if they can survive brackish water, the mollies seem to do fine though. I was told it needs to be 1.010 which is a must with 0 nitrates but the petstore doesn't seem to know to much. I have the water at 86 degrees and still have the weird algae in the tank as well...

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
I also just found a site that recommend 1/4 to 1/2 the tank sea salt. What does this mean? I have my brackish up to 1.010 I believe or somewhere close but obviously that's not considered salt water.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Whitecheeked Morays ( the "freshwater Moray") need a gravity of at least 1.010 to maintain sucessfully. Higher is better, right up to full-strength seawater, 1.025-1.027. They pretty much always hide with their head sticking out to ambush prey. If you don't raise the salinity immediately it's doomed. At this point even if you do there are no guarantees. The algae is a non-issue in regards to the health of the Eel. 86 F is too warm! Especially for the Rosys. Drop it to 80-82.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store