Saulosi Mbuna for 29g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MU1348

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Huntsville Alabama
Visit site
I will be setting up a new tank soon and I really like Pseudotropheus Saulosi.

Are they small enough for a 29g or will I need a larger tank?

Can any other fish be put with these? Dither or Bottom feeders.

Could any shell dwellers live with the Saulosi's?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
A 29 is at the very low end for african cichlids. I don't know if I'd keep saulosi in a tank that small... maybe a trio (1 M, 2 F) and couple of syno catfish, but no more than that.

Jim

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I agree, a 29g is a small tank for keeping mbuna. Since saulosi are "less" aggresive and stay a bit smaller you should be able to keep a trio(1m/2f,maybe even 1m/3f). I wouldn't add synos(the ones that come from the rift lakes) as they need to be in groups of at least 3 and get about 4-6" a piece. A better choice for such a small tank would be a bristlenose pleco.

What are the dimensions of a 29g?

scholar

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Laguna Niguel, CA
Visit site
Go for the longest tank you can afford. you will be happy that you did. A six footer is the best. :)

I do have a colony of Saulosi's to go with electric yellows. :) I love saulosi's. they are my favorites. :0

MU1348

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Huntsville Alabama
Visit site
I believe the tank is 3' long. It's an existing tank that I had a long time ago when I teenager. My parents kept it up for a while when I was in college. I'm wanting to get it back and set it up in my house for my little girl and myself.

I really like the Saulosi's deep blue/black and yellow colors between the male and female. I know that I couldn't put any other large fish in the tank, but I thought I might could put a few smaller fish if the Saulosi's wouldn't bother them too much.

I don't know much about the Saulosi's other than they are smaller and a little more calm than other Mbuna's.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Originally posted by MU1348
I don't know much about the Saulosi's other than they are smaller and a little more calm than other Mbuna's.
They are a bit smaller and are known to be less agressive then some other mbuna but compared to regular fish(non mbuna, community type fish) they are very aggresive. If you were to add tetras or other schol peaceful fish they would most likely become target fish and be constantly stressed.

You might be able to add a few zebra danios, they are fast enough and very hardy. But it really depends on your fish's personality. I tried to add a few zebra danios to my 90g "peaceful" african(haps,mbuna) tank and they weren't attacked pretty good. 2 jumped out of the tnak and the rest were beaten up.

SO with mbuna its really best to jsut keep mbuna with maybe a bottom dweller if they will tolerate it.

Silurian

AC Members
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
tank size

Of course you would want to go with the largest tank size you can with mbuna even though they are relatively small. Though small tanks are not out of the question. I have a female saulosi in a 20 gallon with african rootwood, broken clay pot, a flying fox, chinese algae eater, and a scissortail. Previously they were all together in a much larger 58g tank. The key thing is to have other fish that are faster and more maneuverable than the saulosi. However, once mbuna have established themselves in the tank, adding new fish of any type will generally tick them off and they will go after the newbies with no mercy. If you are intending to keep more than one saulosi, it is suggested that you go with 1 male for every 5 or more females. In the wild, the ratio of females to males is estimated around 50:1. This allows any male aggression to be dispersed among many as opposed to being able to just corner one female and beat her up. So we do the best we can in enclosed aquariums.

MU1348

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Huntsville Alabama
Visit site
Just got back from LFS

I just got back from the LFS. The one I visited only deals with cichlids. I told him I was looking for Saulosi's and he said he was out and whenever he gets them he's out by the end of the week( these guys must be popular!!). He suggested Ps. Lombardoi....almost the same color and 1/3 the price.

What do you guys think?? From what I've researched they are larger and more aggressive, but would they work in a 29g species tank?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
That guy is nuts. Ps. lombardoi (also called kennyis) are some of the most aggressive mbuna you can get. They absolutely are not suitable for a tank your size. I'm amazed that anyone supposedly knows even a little about mbuna would suggest that.

Nope, I'd wait. I'd also consider looking for a more informed salesman...

Good luck,
Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store