need a 1 and 1/8 hose fitting to screw into my Bulkhead fittings? help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I got some flexible hose for one of my wet dry systems. The hose ends are 1 and 1/8 " inside diameter. I cant find a fitting for it anywhere? The LFS don't have any - none of the hardware stores have it. Any Idea where I can get it. I have no Idea how to hook this up???? It wont fit on a piece of PVC pipe? I cant find any kind of fitting? Can they be ordered? Who from????

Thanks, Arkangel77

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
unless there is a fix out there that someone with the same problem knows the answer to, your going to have to improvise. Some times if a hose is too big for a fitting I find a hose section that does fit and use it as a shim for the larger hose, or if the hose is too small for a fitting you can make a PVC adapter by seeing if the hose will fit over any PVC pluming or sprinkler fitting, not just a pipe. If the hose is clear plastic you should be able to heat it up over the stove and get it to fit over a larger size. It can be done you just have to be unconventional. As far as a solid answer I'm more of a spacial problem solver and need to have the problem in my grubby hands to fix it, measurments alone aren't enough for me.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I am a DIY guy myself. I have looked at the hardware store and pet shop for every fitting and piece of pipe I could get ahold of. Nothing fits. Its to small to force it over a section of PVC - pipe or other and its too big for any kinda HOSE type fitting I could find. What I think Might work is thin wall 1' PVC pipe but I cant find that anywhere???? I don't understand how they make a product but not a way to connect it???????????????

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Is this by any chance a white ribbed "bilge pump" hose? I have used the same thing, its kind of a pain but its nice because it doesn't kink. What I did was wrap a 1" barbed fitting in PTFE tape a bunch of times, stuffed it into the hose end then wrenched it down with a hose clamp. It takes a few times sometimes to keep it from dripping, and its not pretty, but it can work.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Is this by any chance a white ribbed "bilge pump" hose? I have used the same thing, its kind of a pain but its nice because it doesn't kink. What I did was wrap a 1" barbed fitting in PTFE tape a bunch of times, stuffed it into the hose end then wrenched it down with a hose clamp. It takes a few times sometimes to keep it from dripping, and its not pretty, but it can work.
YEP that's the hose - I am still flabbergasted that they make a hose but no way to connect it to the system> I mean WTH?:pc:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Have you tried using the out side shoulder of a 1/2 inch PVC adapter which are exactly 1 and 1/8 " outside diameter. The outside provides 1 and 3/4 of space to slide the hose over if you file down the center lug then using silicone as a sealer lubricator to push the hose over the fitting and clamp it. Then depending on what type 1/2 inch adapter you buy you could get one with a 1" male threaded end for a 1 inch fitting and from there attach you 1" PVC pipe.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I looked at a bunch of adapter fitting but did not find one that would work - Gunner you got a pic of it by any chance? Thanks, CDC

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
You should be able to picture it in your head, hose slides over a 1/2 inch PVC pipe joint which just happens to have a 1 and 1/8" diameter outer. If it fits you have any number of possible adapters you can fit to that PVC joint from 1/2 inch to 2".

Also you say that becasue the hose inner diameter is 1 and 1/8", it is a little too large for a 1" PVC pipe supposedly by 1/8" right? So you go over to the reel hose section of your Lowes or HD store and find a 1" inside diameter thin walled clear hose (1/8" wall) buy 1 foot, cut off a 2 inch section and slip it over the 1" PVC pipe as an adapter shim then place your 1 and 1/8 inch hose over them both which should fit very snugly with a stainless steel screw tight hose clamp. Also available in packages of 3 to 5 at and LHW or automotive store.

Last edited:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I think ya lost me. I was trying to use 1" pvc (all they had was THICK) and the OD was Much greater than the ID of the flexible line I have which is 1 1/8.

1 inch PVC is 1 inch on the inside. Its like 1 1/4 or more on the outside. I cant find thin wall pvc anywhere.

Using hose to bushing it out is a good Idea - Not sure if that will work or not but I will make a 3rd trip to all the Stores and see if its possible.

Thanks, Arkangel77

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Wow you lost me! Im holding a standard 1 inch PVC joint or pipe coupling which has a universal inside diameter of slightly larger then 1 inch measuring with a ruler strait across the center of the coupling hole from inside edge to inside edge. This means that a PVC 1 inch outside diameter is always consistently 1 inch to fit. Thin walled 1 inch PVC is bigger on the inside not the outside, if it was it would not fit a universal coupler. If your 1 and 1/8" inside diameter hose (as you say) cannot fit over a universal 1" outside diameter PVC pipe, then your hose is not 1 and 1/8 inside diameter, it must be smaller then 1 inch inside diameter (measuring inside wall to inside wall strait across the hose hole). So what is your hose inside diameter? Get a ruler and measure.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store