30 gallon build underway

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
Well, it's finally underway, after paging through marine books for the last few years, I'm taking the pluge into saltwater. Built a stand last week stained it a gorgous cherry color and sealed it. Granted I think the stand may be big and study enough to hold a 90 gallon, but I'm starting on the smaller end of things. I found a 30 gallon on craigs list for 20 bucks, I had been waiting for Petco's buck a gallon sale, but how could I pass up on a nearly mint tank for 66 cents a gallon, couple minor scratchs on the back side and a massive amount of caked on algae were the only issues. The algae has since been scraped off, and the back side painted blue. The stand also has room on the bottom shelf for 2, yes two 10 gallon tanks (or a 10 gallon and the rest of my fish stuff)
I've also built a pvc counter-current protein skimmer, it should do quiet nicely, I sifted through a bunch of plans and came away with a pretty good understanding, of how they work. I think I have managed to get the flow rate right with the powehead I bought, and it bubbles, I have no way of knowing if I will be getting skimmate with it, but I think I did a decent job.
Also built a light box today, using a 24" narrow strip light from menards, and if the sticker on the ballast is to be trusted, it should work nicely with a T12 full spectrum and an acetic blue. I put the light fixture in a mostly open topped box, to let the heat escape, while still being secure. Also have a cold cathode kit in the mail for moon lighting (I'll be glad to stop stubbing my toe trying the get around the room by glow in the dark star light, I didn't put them on the ceiling, don't ask me) As for a cover, there is a large piece of acylic in the bathroom that was for some project years ago that I'm going to salvage.
Left on my shopping list, 2 more power heads, a heater, marine test kit (sucks that you can't use a freshwater kit, **** chemistry messing things up again) salt, 40-50 lb Live Rock, sand (sugar grained reef sand with some live sand for seeding) fish and a clean up crew and food. May get a few easy and low light corals, and feather dusters, but we'll see. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out where my girlfriend put the transfer cable.
Total cost so far has been around $150 bucks, and aside from the LR, most of the would be expensive stuff is out of the way.
Breakdown
Stand- ~$45 (including the $15 dollar miter saw I got to lazy to use after i found the circular saw)
30 gallon tank- $20
Protein Skimmer- ~$30
Powerhead- ~$15
Light Fixture ~$25
Cokes and Smokes ~$15
Oh and let me tell you, building a stand out of 2x4's and boards while your off work on disabilty for a back injury after falling off the back of your truck onto the loading dock 5 feet away is great therapy for that useless feeling you get sitting around all day. Even if you have to constantly call your girlfriend into the room when stuff if heavier than your lifting restrictions, doc says she's never seen anyone recover this quickly.

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Here's the pictures I got. I had fully intended of doing a full write up of the stand build, but the vicodine kicked in (that's why it's a can of coke instead of the obligatory project beer) But That's the stand, with a 10 gallon QT on the bottom shelf with a sick Glo-Fish in it, she had pop-eye and a swollen belly and issues swimming, but she seems to be doing much better now. The light for the the tanks on the bottom shelf is being supplied by compact florect bulbs with screw in bases. No plants down there, so I was really only worried with lighting the tanks. Painted the back of the tank, and then looking at how hidious white pvc was, painted the outside of the protein skimmer with the left overs. Not bad so far for a DIY project, everything but the tank it self so far.

S5031905.JPG S5031916.JPG S5031917.JPG S5031919.JPG S5031921.JPG S5031922.JPG S5031923.JPG

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
And before anyone says anything, I know infront of a window isn't exactly idea, but the window itself is unusable, won't open, but is well sealed double pane window so there won't be drafts and the heavy black curtain- and heavy spray pain job, should keep out any direct sunlight, and it was the only space I had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store