Help with stocking 46 gallon bow front tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkydinky

AC Members
Sep 2, 2009
Hey I got a 46 gallon 3 foot long bow front aquarium and am putting electric yellow cichlids in it and was wondering how many electric yellow cichlids to put in and what others species of cichlids can be put in the tank with them o and the tank will have plenty of hiding spots because im rockscaping it with slate. THANKS

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I would not put a Auratus in a 3 ft tank. For that size I would go with more peaceful species such as Ps Acei or rusties. They are not nearly as aggressive as auratus and will get along well with the labs. For mbuna the length of the tank is very important so you may be limited to only 2 species for the tank but you could keep a nice group of each. I would do at least one male per 4-5 females. Acei would provide a nice contrast. If you didn't have your heart set on labs you could look into some ps saulosi. They are a dwarf mbuna and only get about 3-4" long. The males are blue with black stripes while the females are a nice yellow color. That would give you a nice color contrast within the same species.

pinkydinky

AC Members
Sep 2, 2009
Do you think it would be at all possible to put aurotus's in there because they really look cool so right now i have my mind set on getting 5 electric yellow cichlids and am still looking for other cichlids to go with them in my 46 gallon bow front aquarium.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I would not recommend it. Melanochromis auratus are very aggressive and very territorial. Plus they get to be a decent size. I don't think they would tolerate the labs due to them both being yellow.

I still say stick with the acei or rusties as your best bet. You could also look into some of the cynotilapia species. I have white top haras myself and they look really nice. They can be a little mean but nothing too bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store