Tank Bred Ocellaris Sick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Heys guys, was hoping you could give some feedback on what you might think my ocellaris clown might have. Been cycling my daughters nano reef for about a months, and decided it was time for the next step, fish, since parameters have checked out good, and holding stable.
We picked up 1 tank raised ocellaris 3 days ago, looked very healthy at the store, but within 24 hours, noticed something wasn't right. Thought maybe ammonia spiked, but tested 0. I decided to test everything else to be sure:
PH: 7.9
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10ppm (both same color on chart)
Salinity: 1.022
Temp: 79F
Ive kept many aquariums in the past, and have come across Ich many times, and don't think it thats. Did some research, and thinking maybe Brooklynella, but never had to treat before, and doesn't match symtoms exactly. Here symptoms so far...

24hrs: Rapid Breath, mouth opening/closing
2nd Day: Stays in one spot (lower corner under powerhead), Mouth staying full open, won't eat.
3rd Day: Same as above only mouth looks swollen but not white, pectoral fins have some white spots, and not a few spots on its back.

I have treated the tank with melefix already, but only covers bacterial and fungal. If its parasitic, I will set up and move to a QT tank with Formalin, and possibly Fresh Dip. Wanted to be sure of whats going on before I do QT, hate to stress out a sick fish anymore than it is. Haven't had much luck with frshwater dipping in past, almost killed my butterfly in the process, and was still claimed by the disease later.
I included some pics below, if they help. I would appreciate any info or suggestions you guys have to help save this little guy :(

Sick Clown 0041.jpg Sick Clown 0101.jpg Sick Clown 0151.jpg

Last edited:

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
IMO you should always do a freshwater dip before putting a new fish in a tank.
and IMO melafix is such a usless treatment.... ive seen it create issues with some fish.
Ive heard of melafix causing rapid breathing.
Im not a saltie though... but I hope I helped a lil bit

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Melefix, useless? Thats the #1 med I use (besides coppersafe), but mainly for damage on fish though. Thing thats nice about it is all natural, so can't really hurt anything, unless overdose alot. Works pretty good and quik on popeye too, but haven't had chance to try on anything else. Ive found everyone has dif luck when it comes to meds and treatment methods, so many dif scenerios.
Reason I hate frsh dipping is the large amount of stress on the sick fish, netting it and all. But I suppose if your already transfering the fish to the new tank, it wouldn't be that much more stress vs. pulling out of tank later on.... Thanks for the tip

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Just got the clown into its quarantine tank, and going to try the Formalin. Hope it works:eek:
Never used this for medication before, so if you think I'm going the wrong direction here, or wasting what little time this fish may have diagnosing incorrectly, please, feel free to let me know. Would like to hear it:1zhelp:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
ALthough formalin is good med but I recall it is combo of malachite green and formadehyde. I wound not use any formaldehyde on open wound.

Are you worried about injuries/possible infection on the edges of fins? I really can tell other symptoms, if any.

If exrta slime is building up, look up brooklynella. Proper F/W dip did help on numerous occasions.

As Mela and Pim, i would not touch them with ten foot pole, personally. Be careful when using with labrynth (gourami, betta, etc). Rather than prophylactic med, would prefer specific treatment in Q/T (unfortunately it is guessing game since tools to exactly isolate pathogen(s) are out of reachfor most hobbyist). No need for microbes to build resistance to med by overusing/improperly applying.

Can you describe the symptoms so I can locate the correct symptom(s). HOpefully I can assist you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store