Ryukin: Floaty Issues + Shipping?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Folks, I need your input here. A friend in a local forum had his prized ryukin's fins trimmed severely by the koi to the point that it could not swim properly anymore. He had wanted to donate it prior to the accident because he had an ominous feeling his koi would eventually chew its fins and sure enough, they did when he didn't separate his ryukin from his pond.

He wants to ship the goldfish to me and he will shoulder the expenses for air freight but I warned him not to proceed to it first because I felt the overnight shipping might just kill the goldfish faster.:( It might take me over 12-15 hours before I receive the package and I am horrified about the end result.

Should he just wait until the ryukin recovers a bit? I feel bad for him and the fish.:(

This is the ryukin at the bottom prior to the accident.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I just reread some of his PMs to me. The goldfish had been floating upside down for two weeks. I advised him to put the fish in the tub for now with a sponge filter and not in the basket inside the pond as the pond water will not help much with its fin recovery.

It's a shame a beautiful ryukin had to go through this horrible incident.

Edit: Calling Kyryah!

Kristina, weren't you planning before to ship the gimpy fish to Marilynn of GAB? I may need your assurance here since I often feel distraught at the thought of shipping a fish with floaty issues.

Last edited:

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Does he have a safe haven for the Ryukin while it recovers? If it's just going to get further molested by the koi, then there's really no choice but to try shipping.

Honestly, I'm paranoid about shipping fish under normal circumstances. Nobody can convince me that the stress wouldn't leave it open to infection, at least until the raw edges get a chance to mend a bit. It certainly would be a shame to pay for rush shipping on a lost cause, but we are all fish enthusiasts after all.

Edit: Just noticed your second post about the floating issues. Sounds like a pretty tough case. I was only considering the trimmed fins, but if something is affecting the floatation then I would have pretty low hopes of surviving shipping (and recovery afterward). All you can do is try, though.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Oops...You must be replying while I added more updates. He kept the ryukin in the basket, Josh. The basket was kept afloat in the pond. He really wanted the ryukin off now since he has very limited utilities to keep the goldfish isolated for long.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Edit: Just noticed your second post about the floating issues. Sounds like a pretty tough case. I was only considering the trimmed fins, but if something is affecting the floatation then I would have pretty low hopes of surviving shipping (and recovery afterward). All you can do is try, though.
Tonight is Thursday night for me. If he plans to ship tomorrow, I could get the fish on Saturday morning. Still waiting for further text messages from him.

I am just crossing my fingers here the fish isn't as bad as he had mentioned to me in my PMs. My heart is really sinking for the poor fish.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I would NOT ship a fish that is already having floatation issues, especially if it's going by plane. The pressure differential could play havoc with its ability to control its deportment, and the stress of moving such a compromised fish may as well kill it. I'd let the fish recover a bit before attempting anything shipping wise.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Taxidermists make synthetic fins!

- not that I can imagine for the life of me if it is possible to attach them to the remnants of a living fish's fins- or if a fish could use them.

... but just out of the one in a hundred chance that that info could help- I'll throw it out there.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Given clean water and good care, the fins will regrow with time. Probably not to their original appearance, but barring the destruction of the major rays down to the tail, they should grow back just fine.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I would NOT ship a fish that is already having floatation issues, especially if it's going by plane. The pressure differential could play havoc with its ability to control its deportment, and the stress of moving such a compromised fish may as well kill it. I'd let the fish recover a bit before attempting anything shipping wise.
Thank you, Rick. I sent him a text message regarding this. I could wait and just cross my fingers he let it recover so he can ship it to me.

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
He's been upside down for 2 wks prior to the Koi getting to his fins? It's not the fins that would bother me, it's the floating issue. You're talking swim bladder problem, correct? That's what I've never had luck with treating long term. With Epsom it would seem to improve for a month or 2 but then every time the problem would resurface until eventually the fish didn't recover. You're more experienced with that, but still.....do you think he'd ever recover long term? The fish is running out of options. The situation he's in now isn't doing him a bit of good. I'd risk it and have him ship it but make sure it's in a good sized bag with plenty of water. Good luck as always, Lupe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store