AqAdvisor.com - WEB version of AquAdvisor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Hi guys,

Me & my friend managed to finally put some time into this web version of the desktop application I wrote a while back. It is currently simpler than the desktop version but with the same algorithm and same fish DB. We do intend to put some additional efforts into this web version moving forward based on our free available time.

Please leave any feedback on this thread.

Thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I guess my 55 gallon with 40 bettas is only 96% stocked? :huh:

I do realize that there is a huge lack of common sense with that question, but in order for the program to be more effective I think more thought needs to be put into the compatibility of the selected stock.

Also, how did you come up with the percentages?

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I guess my 55 gallon with 40 bettas is only 96% stocked? :huh:

I do realize that there is a huge lack of common sense with that question, but in order for the program to be more effective I think more thought needs to be put into the compatibility of the selected stock.

Also, how did you come up with the percentages?
Yes you are right - compatibility aspect needs further improving for sure. We are adding them as we either discover or receive feedback on them. Will look into Bettas for the numbers.

The % is calculated as a function of the surface area of water and size of fish when grown up. Some species are known to be more dirty than others so those are taken into account too. The program also attempts to figure out other incompatibility aspects such as territorial issues, aggression issues, etc.

As I mentioned before, take this as an alpha version. Please feel free to ask further questions.

JoeLaX28

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Real Name
Joe
yhbae, I haven't gotten a chance to check out the off-line version of your program, but I think you've done a great job here. I know how difficult it is to get things like this to work, so this is a great start. Thank you! I've never been one to be a good judge as to what is overstocked and what isn't so this is great tool and having it online only makes it more convenient.

One suggestion though (at least for now :) ) is to allow users to select a tank shape since that has an effect on the surface area.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
yhbae, I haven't gotten a chance to check out the off-line version of your program, but I think you've done a great job here. I know how difficult it is to get things like this to work, so this is a great start. Thank you! I've never been one to be a good judge as to what is overstocked and what isn't so this is great tool and having it online only makes it more convenient.

One suggestion though (at least for now :) ) is to allow users to select a tank shape since that has an effect on the surface area.
Thanks for your kind words. :)

My offline version does handle bowfronts. The web version is lagging a bit from that perspective. I did cheat on the offline version by pre-calculating the surface area of each bowfronts and come up with the equivalent rectangular dimensions. But it works from calculation perspective.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
yhbae,

The porting to the web is a great idea.

Quick suggestion for development. Perhaps the ability to use the list to open another window to fishbase.org to look up summary information on the species. This might help in the stocking decision making process.

It also might be worth your time to inquire about accessing their database directly for common things like fish size, temperature, and pH. This might save you a lot of time on the database side of things.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
yhbae,

The porting to the web is a great idea.

Quick suggestion for development. Perhaps the ability to use the list to open another window to fishbase.org to look up summary information on the species. This might help in the stocking decision making process.

It also might be worth your time to inquire about accessing their database directly for common things like fish size, temperature, and pH. This might save you a lot of time on the database side of things.
Which web do you think is the best source for the summary info on the species? In theory, I can almost auto-generate this since I have most of the info, but things like photo and descriptions I obviously don't have...

The problem with getting numbers from other sites is that they are not consistent either and not always accurate. Fortunately for me, fishes don't evolve very fast! Once good numbers are added into my DB, it is probably good for the next few thousand years... :grinyes:

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Fishbase is by far the best site for information. It also is most likely to be correct about any information. It cites the literature where they got the information from (scientific journals, textbooks, etc..)

The information I've seen on this site is generally uniform and of excellent quality. I think it would be worthwhile to look into it.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
just took a look at your site, seems good, im apparently 85% stocked in my 180. i dont think id add any more really though, without the live plants i daresay id be overstocked and be needing to do multiple water changes a week. i definately think some sort of compatibility check would be a good addition to it.

Dobber

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
Madison, WI
Never would have thought I was overstocked by looking at my tank and from most of the research I've done....but that's what it says. Yikes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store