Taking out Stem plants adding swords, crypts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nfinit1

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
All
First let me thank DJLEn and all the others who have shared their knowledge on planted aquariums....
I have started a 75 gal(2 months old), 1.73 watts per gal, 2215 Eheim, Eco Complete/Flourite Substrate....The tank is looking awesome...THank s sooo Much

I started my tank with Hygro, Bacopa, Rotala Indica Brazilian Sword, Myrio(green)

Now that my tank is cycled, I want to remove the stem plants and begin adding Crypts and Swords....
WHat happens when alot of plants are removed and new ones established??

What are the pros and cons???

IS this a step or procedure for this???

Thanks and Happy Holidays

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Don't pull everything at once - just do a section of the tank at a time (say perhaps a quarter or a third) and wait for positive signs of growth from the newly added plants before doing the next section.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Agree with RTR, and I would go a step further. I would plant the new plants and keep the stems in the tank until the new plants are well established.

Len

nfinit1

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
Thanks DJ and RJR

I will definitely do that.....
That seems it is the best solution....without disturbing the eco system too much.

I still have the fish from the cycling
4 von rio tetras
4 green corys
4 otos
Algae shrimp...

Still going to add
Angels
Candy strip Pleco
Loaches..Havent decided on which ones...snail eaters though and not clowns
Thinking of one school of fish ...neons, rasporas, or just some small rainbows....

thanks again
Happy Holidays

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
You said you wanted to add swords. I would strongly recommend you not getting any amazon swords. I got one months ago that was barely the size of a coke can, now, its growing out of the tank. Mine is a 72g and the plant nearly took up half of it. I had to do some major trimming.

nfinit1

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
NJ...I'm in Atlanta...Thrashers!!!!!

NJ do you have CO2 on your tank
At this time I dont but I am using Flourish Excel

It is doing a great job

nfinit1

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
WOOOOWWWWW

Rob...
How are things in Oregon??? beautiful part of the country!!!!

I only have 1.73watts per...my last test was
KH 8
Ph 7.4
CO2 8

thats with no DYI or pressurized CO2..just adding Flourish Excel.

Seems lke I should just be patient...I have the wide leaf and the dwarf..well thats what I order from a online site. One was very long 12 to 14 in the other 4 to 6 inch..they have been in the tank for abot three weeks...

I am probably suffering from HURRY UP AND GROW disease...smile

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store