Goldfish Tumor Removal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Last night, I decided to watch my oranda Moby for awhile while he remained confined in a hospital tank for weeks. I saw his scales were getting worse with the growth definitely increasing so I decided it was time to perform a surgery to remove it before it worsens itself.

I did not take photos as I did not want to delay the surgery process which was very tricky to do so I am just relying on pasting the site with the procedures and posting everything that I could.

Here's the page I followed through.
http://thegab.org/Articles/SurgeryTumor.html

Tools
7.5 mg clove oil
A tub filled with a liter of water
Scalpel
Forceps
Towel

Steps
1. Put goldfish in the tub.
2. Dose the 7.5mg bottle of clove oil.
3. Wait until he becomes unconscious (not completely!). I felt he was trying to fight back.
4. Lay him on a soft towel.
5. Cut through the area where tumor is located.
6. Use the forceps to help with the process.
7. Sprinkle water over fish if he looks like he is drying up. Still felt him trying to perk up.
8. Apply betadine on the wounds.
9. Put him in the hospital tank and encourage him to perk up.
10. Sterilize tools after this.

He is doing well so far eating heartily. Although he may not be as beautiful as before when he had no tumors, the best thing was to keep him alive and healthy which I risked with the surgery as that was the only option I have when it comes to tumors. The tissues removed will certainly be scarred.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
You is brave Lupey.... I wouldnt be able to do it, nor take my fish to the doctor....

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
His wounds are recovering fast. I can't remember them closing in a bit quickly.:confused: He continues eating well. I was actually fearing the worst prior to surgery but I was wrong. He remains a strong willed fellow and hates to be examined closely.:silly:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Here are his pics. Please ignore the water marks. It's the old 10g that I used as a hospital tank. See why I just had to save him. He's too cute and friendly.:)

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Wow. That takes some serious chutzpah.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, guys.:) I gave him a chunk of gel food and he ate everything quickly.:duh:

They do heal rather faster than you anticipate. I was expecting the deep wounds to linger like that for weeks but the wounds are already closing in, in just a week although not completely. Maybe by 2-3 weeks, the wounds will close up completely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store