lighting issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I apoligize ahead of time that this might be a long one but i'm at my witts end !!!

I am seriously at my witts end trying to find any information on lighting. The sad part is I am an engineer and I can't make sense of anything related to proper lighting. PC, T5, T5HO, Antics, Halide. what the $&#@( ! It's seriously pointless to try a research this subject because the only way it makes any sense is if you understand it already. We'll if I understood it I wouldn't have to research it ! I am sure I am not the only one out there that feels this way.
As most of you know I switched over to reef about 6 months ago. I currently have a 50gal tank. 36x20x12. When I first set up the tank I was told to go with T5 lights. Because of the tank setup I don't have much room for fixtures being that it's in a wall. I went to my LFS and he sold me a Nova 36in T5 1x65w dual tube bulb. It's been 6 months now and I figured it would be a good time to change the bulb. I tried to research which bulb would be better but then gave up. Now I am wondering if this is even the proper lighting. I've had some weird issues with corals not growing as fast as they used to or not opening as much. Is this the proper light ? Is this simply a fancy PC light ? who knows !!
I have no desire for SPS corals. My current stock includes xenia, suncoral, large flowerpot, blasto, shrooms, torch, bubble, various zoos and hairy shroom.
If this is only a fancy PC light will this be enough ? At this point I am assuming if it is it's been way to long since I have replaced the bulb and this could be part of my issue. despite the fact it's most likely improper light to begin with and the people at my LFS should be shot ! I didn't care of the cost when i first purchased the light. I just wanted it to be correct the first time ! Now i'm thinking i will be spending double for another fixture which is what i was trying to avoid.
My issue is that any research I do has everything abbreviated. I feel like I need to be a dictionary to figure it out ! Any insite on this matter that makes sense would be great before I loose everything in the tank !
While I am at it. If this is a PC light i'm guessing the 8 hours a day the light is on isn't nearly enough
I won't take any offense to things being put into simple terms. I am going to assume this tread might hit close to home for many people out there. You guys have been great so far and I value your help.

Please help !!!

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
I may be wrong but I thought for simple corals it is 3.5 watts per gallon I am sure someone will correct me if im wrong lol I am in the investigation phases of converting my tank to salt water reef

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Well my ingorance on the subject led me to believe 65w bulb with 2 tube meant 65w per tube. I am sure I am wrong there ae well. So simply put i think I am just screwed all the way around !

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
With the amount of live rock I have I would guess at about 32 gal of water which would put me at about 2w per gallon of incorrect light. Yup I would say thats a bad thing !

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
does the bulb fit over the entire length of the tank?
a 65w pc is less than two feet
also watts per gallon is not the best way of calculating how much light you need.
if you only have one t5 for the whole tank then you have a low light setup my friend
if thats the case or even if you have two t5s i would suggest getting a metal halide.
150w would be plenty for what youre trying to grow and you can keep your t5s for actinics

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
If thats the case then I will have to go FOWLR. I don't have the space to add halide. These are things I wish were explained to me in the begining. It could have saved me alot of money. Trust me it wasn't from a lack of asking questions. I am def not someone that claims to know it all.The halide fixtures are too big for the space I have available. This adds to my first statement. Call me stupid if you wish but again. everyone likes to use the terms which honestly don't mean anything to me. Actinics? That sounds like a spanish dinner plate. This is my issue. There is nothining that puts these terms into explenations for the average joe doing this for the first time. When you first got started I am sure someone told you what that is. I am not trying to critize but this is where I am getting extremely fustrated. At this point I am seriously just going to put a post on here and give the corals away and cut my loses.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Someone please explain before my head explodes from researching and reading things for hours that make no sense. I'll make it simple. Fill in the blanks

PC =

T5 =

Halide =

I think it's amazing that all the argumnets I read are whats better PC vs T5 and T5 vs hailde. Well my fixtrure is a T5 but from what I read it's considered PC. I must have gotten the best deal in town. I got two lights for the price of one. Which is it a T5 or a PC ? It's obviously not halide that was easy to figure out. Are all T5's considereded PC ? If so are the only options T5 or halide ? If that can be explained at least it answers a few questions. I seriously think reading up on this subject can have someone committed !!!!

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
i reccommend the nova extreme 4x39 watt 36" fixture. i recently bought one and love it. try and search it on ebay, i got mine for 100 dollars, seeing as how it was a refurbished. its an excellent fixture. the bulbs are sold on almost every fish website, and its simple to use.

I'd definately reccommend that.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
PC = T5 but does NOT = T5HO. T5 is simply the diameter of the bulb. Many PC/CFL bulbs come in T5 diameter now. T5HO=MH when similar wattage is used. You get a little more bang for the buck with T5HOs over MH IMO.

That said, 65w is a PC light, which is not considered good light for corals. A 24w T5HO bulb that is similar length will put out 2x the light for corals, so pretty much 1 24w T5HO can equal 130w of PC light. This is why Watts per Gallon should never be used in reef tanks.

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
pc is power compact, basicly like those energy saving bulbs you can buy at home depot
t5 is a fluorescent tube thats skinnier than office building lighting tubes
t5 HO is higher output, the bulbs are driven harder with a special ballast and special bulbs
MH is metal halides, very intense lighting

did you have coral under these lights since you bought them?

if the bulbs connect at both ends then its a t5 or a t5 ho
if the bulbs come together into a little plastic squarey thingy that has a few gold pins on it then its a PC

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store