BEYOND CRITICAL, BEYOND EMERGENCY! HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Random name

AC Members
Jul 26, 2009
I was told by my LFS that i needed more oxygen in my tank to slow down my fish breathing. After adding 2 airstones, and 9 days later, my fish are breathing faster than they are before. I decided to come here because my LFS is closed and it has gotten to be an extreme emergency. My 4-stripe damsel is like shaking his tail and entire body and his gills are moving extremely fast. The rest of the fish, like the yellowtail damsel, clownfishes(2), and yellow tang; are just swimming around fastly. Normally the clowns aren't swimming this fast and the yellowtail is in a hole. Please help someone asap. What is wrong? What can i do to fix it? The light is off atm.

50 gal
Yellow tang
Stripeless ocellaris clownfish and true percula clown
Yellowtail damsel
Sixline wrasse
4-stripe damsel

If all of my fish die tonight my mom will not buy me anymore, and will therefore be forced to sell my tank, which i dont want to do.

Beaux

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
WOW!im new so i probably cant help alot but ill get you started on colecting the info the folks who can help will need. write all this down for future referance when they ask lol. tank size inhabitants filtration lighting tank accesories(protein skimmer powerheads etc) salinity nitrates n nitrites amonia levels calcium level mebey also. i probably missed alot but all that info will be helpful n figuring out where to start. also how lng its been setup too. hope this helps :)
Beaux

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Okay, first try to calm down a bit. I can understand the concern, but being frantic won't help at all and can certainly make things worse. First things first, what are all of your water parameters (and I mean everything that you have the capability to test for)? We'll need numbers, not "it's fine" or "it's low." What are you using for filtration? What are you using for your water source? Do you do regular water changes? When was the last change? A nice big water change could potentially help you, but we need to know the parameters before you do that. In a few instances, a big water change with dramatically different chemical parameters will do more harm than good, which is why we need to know in advance. What do you use for water circulation? Post all of this, if possible, and everyone will be more than happy (and certainly more able) to help.

Random name

AC Members
Jul 26, 2009
The water temp says at 79 degrees feriinheight. The pH is at 8.5. The nitrates have been high the last time i checked(around 40). Nitrites are 0. Akalinity is 130. I really have no circulation, except for my filter.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
How long has your tank been running for? Is it a 50g as you state in your original post? or only 20g- as you say you changed 10g which was 50% in your previous post...

If your tank is only 20g, that seems far too small to have that many fish. Not that I'm a salty expert, but even if it's 50g as per your original post, I think it still might be too small as tangs need a lot of space. If your tank hasn't cycled, that could be the source of your problems.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The water temp says at 79 degrees feriinheight. The pH is at 8.5. The nitrates have been high the last time i checked(around 40). Nitrites are 0. Akalinity is 130. I really have no circulation, except for my filter.
What about ammonia/ammonium, and specific gravity? Also, again, is the tank 20 or 50 gallons and how long has it been set up?

Beaux

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
im gona even go out on a limb here n say...your tank is probably cycling again, or for the first time. im going on the assumption that its a 20galon tank and u did a 50% water change..whitch more times rhan not will make even a freshwater tank recycle especialy if you cleaned the filters or anything else at the same time. keep us posted and unless its an emergency i dont change but about 10-20% at MOST of any o my tanks water n when i do one larger i never clean filters OR vacume the gravel at the same time because it removes too many anerobic(i think thas the word im lookin for lol) bacteria and they eat the poop n pee n detritus out o the tank. good luck!
Beaux

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store