Swollen goldfish question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
I did not post this in disease, because I am not sure if there is reason for concern.
I recently added a second filter (over sized) to my 36 gal goldfish tank and have been watching closely, to make sure that they are not bothered by the current. Anyway, the current did not seem to bother them, but I turned the 2nd filter off today after noticing some swelling in one of my goldfish.

I was unable to get a picture that showed the swelling, but the goldfish does not look symmetrical. One side, just behind the gill area is a lot larger than the other side. No raised scales or discoloration, just notable larger. It's not something I have noticed until today, so believe it is new.

The goldfish is still acting healthy. No water quality issues. There have been no new fish added to the tank for a couple years.

I am now afraid to turn back on the second filter, thinking I may have strained the goldfish with the current.

He gets peas every night, so I don't think its a constipation problem.

Any ideas?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hi Twistermom,

This intrigues me. I'd just keep the filter off and get one that doesn't produce too much current. Keep a close watch and see if it enlarges itself. You might want to take note that tumors and ulcers tend to be common with goldfish so you have to be on the watchout for these possibilities. Hopefully, it isn't either of the two. It would be a pain since it becomes a hindrance especially when it is located near the gill area. What variant is the goldfish?

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
I have two fantail goldfish and 3 dojo loaches in the 36 gal. It is a corner aquarium and to me does not appear over crowded. The reason for the second filter, was because I got a good deal on a used Eheim canister filter, that is way oversized for the tank. I turned the spray bar toward the glass and removed the end cap, hoping it would work, but now believe it was a bit much. The swelling is only on the one side, starts at the gill and goes a marble length back. Maybe I should try fasting a couple days, along with the removal of the second filter and check for improvements?

I will see if I can get some pictures of the swelling tomorrow. The pictures I took today, you could not see it.
Here is a picture of the goldfish in question.

jos fish 099.jpg

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
peas are good

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Goldfish can often be slightly uneven viewed from the top down, for numerous reasons varying from tumors (benign or otherwise) internal scarring, uneven egg distribution, etc... What's the nature of the swelling? Is it localized, or does one side just look uneven from the other?

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
The swelling is more localized, starts right after the gill and ends about a marble Length back, almost circle shaped.

I thought he was a boy, he used to have very distinct white spots on his gills, but now I do not see them, not sure what that would mean.

The goldfish is still acting healthy, so I guess all I can do is watch.
He was not cooperative for picture taking today, always showing me his good side.

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
His swelling does not look any better today. Caught him resting at the bottom of the tank a few times today. That makes me a little nervous, but when he wants to swim, he gets around fine.
Some pictures I took today.

Load warning, had trouble deciding what pictures to use.
Full tank shot at the bottom.

jos fish 194.jpg jos fish 214.jpg jos fish 225.jpg jos fish 245.jpg jos fish 251.jpg

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
He might've ricocheted into something when the current changed.. I would just wait and watch ( not much else.. IMO ) good luck and pretty tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store